Marymount Manhattan

>

History

Marymount Manhattan College was founded in 1936 by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary as a two-year women’s college and a New York City extension of Marymount College, Tarrytown in Tarrytown, New York. In 1948, the College moved to its present location on 71st Street and became a four-year bachelor degree-granting college; the first class graduated from MMC in 1950. In 1961, MMC was granted an absolute charter as an independent four-year college by the Regents of the University of the State of New York.

Faithful to the vision of its founders, Marymount Manhattan has a long history of reaching out to diverse populations in need of higher education. Over the years, Marymount Manhattan’s mission as an urban, independent, coeducational nonsectarian liberal arts college has expanded to include a greater variety of students, including men, nontraditional students, and students from a variety of ethnic and geographic backgrounds.


1930s

1940s

1950s

1960s

1970s

1980s

1990s

2000s