The Bachelor of Arts Program in Business provides students with an opportunity to combine a foundation in Business Management with a strong interest in the liberal arts.
It allows for an individualized approach in crafting career paths or planning for graduate studies in economics, international studies or business management.
All students in the Bachelor of Arts program in Business Management take courses in accounting, organizational theory, marketing, and economics. After completing the basic business courses, students will choose a concentration in Leadership, Social Entrepreneurship, Media and Arts Management, Fashion Marketing or Economics.
The concentrations are designed to allow for the interplay between Business, Arts, Communication Arts, Philosophy, History, Political Science and International Studies, enabling students to develop a multidisciplinary perspective.
Each program emphasizes the fundamental intellectual skills: reading critically, thinking analytically, and writing clearly. Feedback from business professionals and our alumni stress the importance of communicating clearly, delivering effective presentations, and working well in teams.
B.A. General Education: 42 Credits
Major: 39 Credits
Elective Credits: 39 Credits
- LEARNING BY DOING, with NEW YORK CITY at the heart of the experience. Our freshman Business seminar begins with a walk down Wall Street, followed by visits to the New York Stock Exchange, as well as excursions to courts and museums to complement coursework.
- Our location also affords students the opportunity to participate in INTERNSHIPS AT WORLD-CLASS BUSINESSES such as Google, JP Morgan, and NBC Universal, as well as nationally broadcast television programs like The Rachael Ray Show. Our internship/alumni affiliations span the array of opportunities New York City offers: including international organizations, marketing, public relations, media and arts organizations, and the fashion and entertainment industry.
- SERVICE LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES include working with agencies to develop marketing campaigns or participating in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA). There are a number of clubs within the division to foster faculty and student collaboration, including the Mock Trial Club, the Sigma Beta Delta (Business Honors Society), and the newly minted Microfinance Club.
- CHOOSE THE CONCENTRATION THAT MATCHES YOUR INTERESTS: Fashion Marketing, Media and Arts Management, Leadership, Economics, and Social Entrepreneurship.
Our Business Alums:
- One recent Business graduate with a concentration in Entrepreneurship is now studying Law at Touro Law School, NY.
- Another, who had a concentration in Media and Arts Management, interned at SONY Corp and subsequently received a job offer. He was also accepted for graduate studies at Columbia Business School. He has his own music label, has partnered with a large distributor, and has just completed a national tour.
THE NEW FASHION MARKETING CONCENTRATION:
- NEW YORK CITY IS A PRE-EMINENT INTERNATIONAL FASHION CENTER. The new concentration in Fashion Marketing brings students into the heart of the industry, giving students first-hand exposure to fashion design and marketing firms. Students will attend fashion shows, visit fashion exhibits, and get to meet designers; and they will have their foot in the door well before graduation.
- Students have successfully completed INTERNSHIPS and assistantships with designers and companies from Bill Blass to Burberry and from Armani to Versace. Many graduates enjoy careers in fashion brand management, retailing, marketing, media, advertising, public relations and fashion design.
Our Business alums with interests in Fashion:
- One recent graduate is an account executive at Weatherproof, a garment manufacturing company and travels all over the world managing merchandise. Before joining Weatherproof, she interned and held part-time jobs with Ralph Lauren.
- Another interned with Club Monaco for two years prior to graduation and was offered a management position upon graduation.
To see more student stories and learn more about the department and its programs, please visit the department section of our website: Business