STUDY COMMUNICATION & MEDIA ARTS (CMA) IN THE
COMMUNICATION CAPITAL OF THE WORLD.
Whether you are interested in television, film, digital media, journalism, or public relations and advertising, the majors in the Division of Communication & Media Arts will prepare you for a successful career in an industry that continues to evolve and grow. The majors offer students flexibility as they work toward becoming experts, leaders and professionals in their field of interest.
- Cinema, Television, and Emerging Media for students interested in a career in the media industry. Students will learn practical approaches to contemporary media while also learning the artistry of media in the digital age.
- Digital Media and Video Production for students interested in hands-on training in film, television, web-based media, and interactive and emerging media production. Students in this major take full advantage of our location in New York City - the media capital of the world – where unparalleled opportunities are available for students looking to obtain real-word experience in their chosen field.
- Digital Journalism for students who want to engage in a cross-media platform approach that incorporates the basics of print media but also embraces newer formats for storytelling such as blogs, podcasts, and streaming video. Students interested in journalism can also pursue a Journalism minor.
- Public Relations and Strategic Communication for students interested in learning the techniques and practices of promotional communication, professional communication, advertising, and social media practices.
- The Communication Arts major offers students the flexibility of building their own major that incorporates courses from the other areas of study, including communication theory, media history, interpersonal and organizational communication, production, creative media, critical media studies, and professional and promotional communication. Students interested can also explore a Communication and Media Arts Minor.
Our alumni are present throughout the globe working in a variety of communication industries including television, film, media planning, fashion, journalism, advertising, social advocacy, human resources, and public relations. We encourage alumni to stay connected with faculty to share their adventures and travels as they embark on exciting careers.
FIRST CLASS FACILITIES
Our campus is home to the Theresa Lang Center for Producing, a state-of-the-art digital audio, video, a brand-new television studio designed in 2015, and a multimedia facility where students and faculty work independently and collaboratively to create films, videos, podcasts, and interactive media projects.
ONLY IN NEW YORK
There is no better place to study Communication & Media Arts than in the resource-rich city of New York. You’ll have the opportunity to intern at major TV networks—from Disney and Nickelodeon to CNBC and CNN—as well as at media powerhouses like Viacom, Bloomberg, and organizations like the United Nations and the Museum of Natural History. With New York City as an extension of the classroom, students have opportunities to meet film-makers across the globe, take classes at film festivals, visit television studios to network with media producers, and embrace both the larger and smaller industries throughout the five boroughs and beyond.
- <span class="lw_news_image"><span class="lw_item_thumb"><a href="/live/news/1284-cma-students-head-for-tour-of-cnbc"><img src="/live/image/gid/100/width/456/height/250/crop/1/ignore_cropper/1/9132_students_going_to_msnbc.rev.1453903581.jpg" alt="Students Boarding Shark Tank Bus to head to CNBC Tour" class="lw_image" width="456" height="250" srcset="/live/image/scale/2x/gid/100/width/456/height/250/crop/1/ignore_cropper/1/9132_students_going_to_msnbc.rev.1453903581.jpg 2x, /live/image/scale/3x/gid/100/width/456/height/250/crop/1/ignore_cropper/1/9132_students_going_to_msnbc.rev.1453903581.jpg 3x" data-max-w="1650" data-max-h="1650"/></a></span></span><div class="lw_news_headline"><a href="/live/news/1284-cma-students-head-for-tour-of-cnbc">CMA Students head for tour of CNBC</a></div><div class="lw_news_summary">CMA students leave on 30 Rock Van for personalized tour of CNBC</div>