“Internships are important for a few reasons. For you, the student, they are an opportunity for you to work in the industry you’re interested in to realize if its what you really want. Sometime, OFTENTIMES, the fantasy isn’t at all like the reality.”
- Gage Woodle
Completing an internship as part of your undergraduate education is a great way to apply what you have learned in your classes to a real-world setting. It is also an opportunity to begin building a network with professionals and open up your options for employment after college.
MMC students have interned with a variety of high-profile companies and organizations, including: J.P. Morgan Chase, NBCUniversal, SONY Music, the United Nations, Weill Cornell Medical Center, Christie’s, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum of Modern Art, The Rachael Ray Show, The Doctor Oz Show, MTV, Lincoln Center Theatre, New York City Ballet, Free Arts NYC, and the list goes on.
Internships may be obtained through the Office of Career Services, a faculty advisor, or by the student. Students are required to begin the internship process by making an appointmentwith a career counselor in the office of Career Services. Many students take internships for academic credit.
To Receive Academic Credit Students Must:
1) Complete a minimum of 30 credits at MMC (or 15 MMC credits for transfer students).
2) Possess a GPA of 2.8 or above.
3) Find a full time faculty member at the college to sponsor and approve their internship. Faculty will also supervise students during their internships and provide them with assignments for this graded course.
Internships have been cited as the number one way for companies/organizations to recruit college graduates. They are also an outstanding career counseling tool and can help students figure out what they want to do and as well what they do not want to do post college. Students who successfully complete internships are better positioned to find permanent employment in this challenging job market.
How To Apply For Internships For Academic Credit:
Log in to the MMC Portal and click on the Student Dashboard to complete the internship application. Once the application is filled out, the Faculty Internship Supervisor will be notified and the application will be in progress. Students will be contacted by Paul Maniaci, Internship Coordinator, when the application is ready to be submitted to the Registrar for course credit.
- Begin applying for internships now! Use MMC Career Connection, LinkedIn or other search tools to find positions.
- Contact Paul Maniaci at firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment to have your resume reviewed and discuss internship protocol.
- Find an faculty internship supervisor in your department.