We’re glad you’re #MMCBound!
So, you’re #MMCBound, now what? New Student Orientation! The Office of Student Development & Activities hosts New Student Orientation before the start of classes each semester for students who are new to MMC. This week of events will have critical information for the upcoming school year as well as evening social activities to kick-start your experience as a Griffin! This is your opportunity to meet other incoming students and learn about the many resources at MMC.
Want to know where you fit in? Check below for Orientation information for First-Year Students, Transfer Students, Parents and Families.
First-Year Student Orientation
Summer is winding down and Marymount Manhattan is gearing up for your arrival! Orientation will be held on Monday, August 24 to Friday, August 28 and the first day of class is Monday, August 31. The Orientation program will provide you with an introduction to the MMC community, critical information that you will need to know about student life, and a chance to explore all that NYC has to offer with your new classmates. You will be placed in groups and paired with a Marymount Manhattan College peer leader who will show you the ropes! Peer leaders will be present at all sessions and will be available to answer questions about MMC and the surrounding community. You will receive a complete schedule for Orientation during Check-In. Check-In times are organized by group assignment. In early August, all first-year students will receive an email correspondence with specific group assignments and additional details about New Student Orientation. All programs are mandatory unless otherwise noted.
Click here to see a sample schedule of the first day of Orientation.
Transfer Student Orientation
The Transfer Student Orientation program will provide you with an opportunity to get to know MMC and your fellow transfer students. The program will include meetings with professors as well as programs to better acclimate you to the College. Transfer Orientation will be held on Thursday, August 27 and Friday, August 28. The first day of class is Monday, August 31. You will receive a complete schedule for the program during Orientation Check-In. In early August, all transfer students will receive an email correspondence with additional details about Transfer Student Orientation. All programs are mandatory unless otherwise noted.
Click here to see a two day sample schedule.
Note: If you are a transfer student who has earned 15 or less college credits by the end of your spring 2015 college term, you will follow the First-Year Orientation program detailed above.
Are you ready to discover the city with other Marymount students? Go on outings with your new classmates for free/low cost events in New York ranging from live performances to sporting events! Registration is required for all excursions. Pre-Registration will be available soon for first-year and transfer students. Stay tuned!
Parents and Family Orientation and Reception
Parents, family, and friends of our new students are invited to Parents and Family Orientation and Reception during the move-in weekend and Orientation week. The program is offered three days, August 21, 22, or 23 from 4PM to 6PM. You may select any date that is best for you. If you require an overnight stay, consider our nearby hotel accommodations.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What do I wear? Athletic shoes and comfortable shorts or pants. There will be plenty of walking and various interactive activities that you won’t want to miss!
- What do I bring? State-issued photo identification, any pending documentation needed from the admissions office, and your enthusiasm!
- Are meals included? Some meals will be provided during orientation.
- When will I have my student ID made? On campus residents will have their ID made upon checking into the residence halls. Commuter students will have their ID made during orientation.
What if it is a heat wave/rains/snows? Orientation takes place rain or shine. Be sure to bring items to keep you comfortable and dry (ie. sunblock, umbrella, light jacket, etc.)
- When will I know my classes? Class schedules will be dispersed upon check-in on the first day of your assigned orientation.
- I noticed that I am assigned to a group. Do I have to follow that group’s schedule or can I switch into a group that I’d like to be in? Due to room capacity limitations we will not be able to switch groups. However, there will be plenty of combination group activities for everyone!
Contact the Office of Student Development and Activities at 212-774-0788 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.