- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/7/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/7509_img_7350.rev.1453903083.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Art Therapy Minor</h1></div><div class="hero__extra"><a href="/live/image/gid/7/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/7509_img_7350.jpg" class="hero__about" title="Sarah Caldwell Senior Thesis exhibition" data-minimodal="true" data-minimodal-rootclass="minimodal--alt" data-minimodal-caption="Sarah Caldwell Senior Thesis exhibition"><span class="svg svg--plus hero__about__icon"><svg data-xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 33 33"><path d="M33 15v3H18v15h-3V18H0v-3h15V0h3v15z"/></svg></span>About this image</a></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/7/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25481_Art_Classroom.rev.1617313880.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Art Therapy Minor</h1></div></div>
Explore the mental health and human services professions in a unique minor that combines your interests in psychology and art. Get prepped for art therapy grad programs, and ultimately for work in schools, hospitals, community centers, crisis centers, or with private clients.
Why Study Art Therapy at MMC?
The Art Therapy minor introduces students to the basic principles and practices in the field of art therapy. By linking art and psychology, you’ll have new opportunities for personal growth in clinical and educational settings through theoretical and applied for work in small classes. You’ll receive guidance and internship possibilities from a professional art therapist. Use the MMC studios for hands-on projects—great for clinical settings—and benefit from NYC’s rich network of resources.
What You Will Learn
- Understand the creative and therapeutic process in art therapy.
- Demonstrate skills in the application of a variety of art modalities (drawing, painting, clay, puppetry).
- Demonstrate knowledge of human developmental and psychological theories.
- Learn about the role of art-making within therapeutic art treatment through case study reviews.
- Cultivate personal and professional insight into the use of art experiential processes.
MMC fostered my passion for art therapy and provided me with a road map to a successful future. I received my Master’s degree in Art Therapy and Creativity Development at Pratt Institute in 2017 and am now an Art Therapist at RiverSpring Health working with a geriatric population.Amanda Clears ’14
Class of 2014, Communication Arts, Post-Bac: Studio Art, Art Therapy minor
Judith Mara Carson Center for Visual Arts
Coming to MMC in Fall 2022, the visual arts center is designed with your educational needs in mind. Beautiful, light-filled spaces inspire and energize your imagination. Featuring light-filled fully equipped art and photography studios; a digital immersion project room; an art history resource center and classroom; and a communal hub to host events, connect with friends, or just hang out. Put your creativity front and center.