- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/7/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/18779_Lacy_Budd_Alum_design_4.4.16_copy.rev.1616174552.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Graphic Design Minor</h1></div><div class="hero__extra"><a href="/live/image/gid/7/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/18779_Lacy_Budd_Alum_design_4.4.16_copy.jpg" class="hero__about" title="Graphic Design Landing Image" data-minimodal="true" data-minimodal-rootclass="minimodal--alt" data-minimodal-caption="Graphic Design Landing Image"><span class="svg svg--plus hero__about__icon"><svg data-xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 33 33"><path d="M33 15v3H18v15h-3V18H0v-3h15V0h3v15z"/></svg></span>About this image</a></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/7/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/3824_zoehiiglistudiomarymountexhibit72_copy.rev.1663464441.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Graphic Design Minor</h1></div><div class="hero__extra"><a href="/live/image/gid/7/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/3824_zoehiiglistudiomarymountexhibit72_copy.jpg" class="hero__about" title="Opening Reception October 3, 2013" data-minimodal="true" data-minimodal-rootclass="minimodal--alt" data-minimodal-caption="Opening Reception October 3, 2013"><span class="svg svg--plus hero__about__icon"><svg data-xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 33 33"><path d="M33 15v3H18v15h-3V18H0v-3h15V0h3v15z"/></svg></span>About this image</a></div></div>
You have a keen eye and a creative mind. In Graphic Design, you’ll learn to stylize content to attract the attention of a target audience. Uniting graphic arts with marketing principles, designers develop the talent to conceive, create, and produce commercial work in a variety of styles.
Why Study Graphic Design at MMC?
To be a designer, you must not only master industry-specific software and technology but also develop your artistry and cultivate your intellect. In other words, you must take advantage of the precise type of liberal arts education that MMC provides. In New York City, you’ll be surrounded by great design and legendary designers. Pop into MoMA, which holds the scrap paper that Milton Glaser scrawled the concept for his famous I Love New York logo. Visit the Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum or the Museum of Arts and Design for inspiration. Intern at one of the city’s big design firms or get experience at a media company. Gawk at the sheer amount of Helvetica in the city’s subway system.
What You Will Learn
- You will learn three areas of design—theoretical, technical, and creative—through demonstrations, lectures, one-on-one consultations, and presentations by dedicated professors and leading professionals in New York.
- You will gain an understanding of foundational design principles and theories that are necessary for success in all fields of media design and production.
- You will develop a robust skill set applicable to a host of creative fields, including branding, corporate design, and advertising.
- You will produce a professional portfolio in a specific field of media design—including print design, web design, illustration, 3-D animation, photography, or a similar area—that will prepare you for graduate programs or any number of design-oriented careers.
I interned for Us Weekly, Christie’s Auction House, Times Square Alliance, and Seventeen Magazine. I’ve used my design skills in every position I’ve had. I’m glad I get to utilize my design passion and that I’ve been able to evolve with the ever-changing digital landscape.Lacey Budd ’11
Class of 2011, Graphic Design Concentration
During my senior year, the Graphic Design program at MMC arranged for a summer internship for me at a New York City corporate design firm. Thanks to the flexibility that MMC offers to students I was ready with the necessary tools for this job. After graduation, they offered me a junior designer full-time position!Rosemarie Arroliga ’16
Class of 2016, Graphic Design and Marketing double major
Judith Mara Carson Center for Visual Arts
Coming to MMC in Fall 2022, the visual arts center is designed with your educational needs in mind. Beautiful, light-filled spaces inspire and energize your imagination. Featuring light-filled fully equipped art and photography studios; a digital immersion project room; an art history resource center and classroom; and a communal hub to host events, connect with friends, or just hang out. Put your creativity front and center.