- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/100/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/25500_Studio_Production_1.rev.1617653389.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Digital Journalism Minor</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/100/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/25439_journalism_students.rev.1616707503.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Digital Journalism Minor</h1></div></div>
Enhance your major with journalistic expertise! Establish a solid foundation in journalism practices while broadening your horizons this evolving, multi-media industry. Learn how to gather information and develop the necessary writing, reporting, and editing skills for traditional and digital media. Our journalism program will prepare you for whatever the future of journalism may hold.
Why Study Digital Journalism at MMC?
Work with professors who work directly in the field! Start your day in an investigative reporting and end at a journalism internship in places like the Rachel Maddow Show or NY1. With decades of journalism experience, our faculty have worked in various publications and fields from Forbes to the New York Times, and are regularly interviewed on programs such as NPR and print media outlets. Whether it’s an excursion to the Vice, ProPublica, or Associated Press headquarters or a class visit by Democracy Now!’s Amy Goodman, immersing students in the digital journalism industry is central to our program!
What You Will Learn
- Make dynamic, relevant content by learning research, writing, and reporting skills. Courses such as Journalism in the 21st Century, On Air Reporting, and Digital Cultures will gives you the tools to be a versatile and multi-skilled gatherer and creators.
- Create the change you’d like to see in the world by learning to be an ethical and responsible newsmaker. Courses such as Cultural History of Media and Media Law & Ethics allow you to develop an informed code of principled journalism.
- Combine your passion for journalism with your major, surveying a wide variety of topics and media outlets. Courses such as Arts & Media Reporting, Media & Politics, Fashion Media & Culture, and Communication Campaigns allow you to explore and focus on your specific journalistic interests.
MMC’s Fashion Marketing concentration seemed like exactly what I was looking for in a major. After getting to MMC, I never doubted that I made the right choice. I am so grateful for MMC, the city, and the friends I made here. I wouldn’t have traded the experience for anything and I feel confident and well-equipped to go out and make things happen for myself.Hannah Griffee ’21
Between learning from our experienced journalist professors to connecting with successful alumni for internships, where I am now is a direct result of my time at MMC. I was able to strengthen my writing skills, hone in on my journalistic voice, and fully immerse myself in the media industry from day one.Jack Irvin ’20
Production Meets Exploration at MMC
In addition to being located in the heart of NYC—the communication capital of the world—MMC is also home to state-of-the-art facilities open for daily use for our Communication and Media Arts students.