- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/100/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25498_COMMARTS3.rev.1617653330.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Film and Media Studies Major</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/100/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25497_COMMARTS2.rev.1617653330.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Film and Media Studies Major</h1></div></div>
The Film and Media Studies Major (formerly Cinema, Television, & Emerging Media) emphasizes the understanding of genres, aesthetics, history, popular-, and production culture. Delve into the exploration of film, television, and digital media as social and artistic forms as you develop the skills to become an authority within and about the film and media production industries.
Why Study Film and Media Studies at MMC?
At MMC, museums, archives, and film festivals are a part of your classroom experience! Begin your day in a tv industries class but end it interning at a production house located in NY. From world cinema to local filmmaking, our dedicated professors relay boundless expertise and connection to the film and media industry that can only be maintained in the heart of it all – New York City!
What You Will Learn
- Explore film and media aesthetics and forms, and industries. Courses like Styles and Genres of Cinema and Television, the American Independent Cinema, and Global Media Studies both expand and refine your expertise in film and media.
- Become an authority on the relationship between media texts and industrial, technological, and social forces. Courses like Black Female Sexuality in Film; Race, Class, and Gender in Media; and Children’s Media, Representation, and Culture examine the power of film and media to build worlds and change minds.
- Combine your passion for film and media with countless other areas of interest, such as podcasting, literature, journalism, or public relations.
I am constantly applying the skills I learned from my classes. The professors helped me become a better writer, taught me about digital media, and gave me an understanding of how to flourish in day-to-day interpersonal settings.Allison Picurro ’17
Class of 2017, Film and Media Studies major
Editorial Assistantat HBO
CTEM and its 1-on-1 approach has given me an unmatched creative foundation to develop my skills as an aspiring screenwriter and filmmaker. The faculty is astounding and wants nothing more than to see their students succeed academically, artistically, and professionally. This program has given me insurmountable confidence in my abilities (and an irreplaceable sense of passion) that I will forever take with me into the professional world of entertainment!Shelbi Cornelison ’22
Class of 2022, Film and Media Studies major
Production Meets Exploration at MMC
In addition to being located in the heart of NYC—the communication capital of the world—MMC is also home to state-of-the-art facilities open for daily use for our Communication and Media Arts students.