- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/111/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25503_SPCH_Header_3.rev.1625064547.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Major</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/111/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25502_SPCH_Header_2.rev.1626121074.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Major</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/111/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25504_SPCH_Header_4.rev.1626121087.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Major</h1></div></div>
Looking to mix personal interactions with a career in health services, teaching, or the sciences? Majoring in SLP&A is the best way to prepare yourself for grad school and your career in the allied health professions: you could be a speech-language pathologist or audiologist, an ESL teacher or a sign language interpreter, a special education teacher or rehabilitation counselor.
Why Study Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology at MMC?
The Communication Sciences and Disorders Department offers practical experience at the undergraduate level, including on-site practicums with real patients and clients, small classroom size and individualized learning, dedicated advising from faculty for students, and exposure to preparatory learning for post-graduate level learning and careers. The program also offers several internship opportunities in partnership with the NYC Department of Education, the CUNY system, and Reading Partners. Our dedicated faculty members will help students further their learnings at MMC with research opportunities and teaching assistantships.
What You Will Learn
- Effectively demonstrate knowledge of a range of normal, different, and disordered functions of the human communication system, across varied cultural contexts.
- Exhibit critical thinking and problem-solving skills in behavior, speech, and writing across genres.
- Demonstrate scientific literacy as it pertains to the human communication system by engaging in tasks such as research, and clinical and field-related practice.
The experience, guidance, and mentorship I received during my time in the Speech-Language Pathology program has been unmatched and has prepared me for my career. The rare hands-on clinical experience not only set me apart in graduate applications but also provided a foundation for my future success. I have always said this program is a true gem!Danielle Kancelaric `18
Class of 2018, Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology majoe
I attended MMC’s Speech Pathology program for 3 years as a transfer student, but I can assure you it was the best decision I made. This program and the on-campus clinic gave me the confidence I needed to go onto grad school. I was more prepared than half my cohort was and I was one of the few students who had previous experience with clients.Victoria Hartnett ’20
Class of 2020, Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology major
When I think back at how I began my journey to becoming a speech-language pathologist, I cannot help but remember the wonderful program I was a part of at Marymount Manhattan College. Having the opportunity to begin my clinical experiences as an undergraduate made me stand out in my graduate school applications.Stephanie Alverio ’18
Class of 2018, Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Major
Our students’ hands-on education prepares them for success across many growing disciplines. Our students head to various graduate-school programs for professional degrees or join the workforce following graduation. Faculty and staff work to match student talents and interests with the right path. Careers can include:
The Ruth Smadbeck Communication and Learning Center
The Center provides free services to the community and is an invaluable educational asset for students in MMC’s Communication Sciences and Disorder programs. Students in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology obtain on-site observation, training, and supervision — training rarely available at the undergraduate level.