- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/108/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25533_DSC_6261_2.rev.1666922997.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Behavioral Neuroscience Major</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/110/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25580_Brain_Scans_4.rev.1672966476.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Behavioral Neuroscience Major</h1></div></div>
By understanding the intimate relationship between the brain and behavior you will better understand human nature.
Get an edge on the rapidly expanding field of neuroscience and advanced methods used to study it. You could be part of the team to develop treatments for neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and Multiple Sclerosis.
Neuroscience has been indispensable in developing effective treatments to help those challenged by various mental health disorders and improving the quality of life. Future developments are likely to provide significant benefits for society and have implications for a diverse range of public policy areas such as health, education, law, and security.
Why Study Behavioral Neuroscience at MMC?
Behavioral Neuroscience at MMC gives you the unique opportunity to combine your passion for science with creativity. At MMC, Behavioral Neuroscience is an interdisciplinary and interdepartmental major combining psychology, biology, chemistry, math, and speech-language pathology and audiology. Following MMC’s unique mission to provide students with a multidisciplinary foundation, our Behavioral Neuroscience major gives you the tools to be competitive in the field and to be active participants helping provide solutions to world issues under the purview of neuroscience.
MMC’s prime location in New York City affords you indispensable opportunities for practical research experiences both onsite at MMC or offsite in renowned academic and medical research institutions. As an MMC student, you’ll also be given preference for broad research internship opportunities with prominent neuroscientists in renowned laboratories. MMC stands out among other NYC colleges with small class sizes. Unlimited faculty-student interactions facilitate a firm grasp on fundamental and advanced concepts inherent to the neuroscience discipline.
Students completing this major in conjunction with specific course requirements for individual programs will be prepared to pursue advanced degrees in neuroscience (Master’s, Ph.D., MD or JD (Neuro-Law), baccalaureate careers, professional programs in neuroscience (clinical psychology, art /dance therapy) and related fields.
What You Will Learn
- An understanding of the field of neuroscience from both a historic and current perspective. You’ll specifically examine highlights and advances that show the relationship between the nervous system, behavior, and emotions.
- Research methodology commonly used by neuroscientists and psychologists. The empirical approach will be examined with an emphasis on the benefits and limitations of this method as it relates to Behavioral Neuroscience.
- You will become familiar with the rapidly growing body of literature and research in the field of Neuroscience with a particular interest in Biopsychology.
I spent three years working as a research assistant and then lab manager in Dr. Deirtra Hunter’s Music, Mind and Brain Lab where we studied psychophysiological responses evoked by emotionally charged music in human participants. Dr. Hunter was diligent in her efforts to ensure I graduated with indispensable practical research experiences on and off campus that made me a competitive applicant for professional and academic positions.Keaven Caro ’18
The Behavioral Neuroscience program at MMC encompasses my passion for biology, chemistry, and psychology. Dr. Hunter-Ramgnoli has provided me with the education, guidance, and hands-on training I needed to not only do well in school, but to acquire a position as a Research Associate at the Nestler Lab at The Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai after graduation.Martine Faustin ’19
Class of 2019, Major in Behavioral Neuroscience
Being a Behavioral Neuroscience Major at Marymount Manhattan College is an experience like no other. Working with Dr. Deirtra Hunter, you are allowed to not only get a deeper understanding of your classes, but she will help you find numerous opportunities geared towards your specific interest. Classes such as Perception and Developmental Neurobiology are challenging, engaging, and life-changing.Stephanie Constant ’19
Class of 2019, Major in Behavioral Neuroscience
Given the demand for a familiarity of the connections between brain and behavior, career and advanced degree options are limitless when you graduate with a B.S. in Behavioral Neuroscience at MMC. Choose careers from varied fields such as: research and teaching options; health-related; global health; business and law; government and policy; consulting; writing and publishing; non-profit and many creative sectors.
Take a Tour of the Natural Sciences Department
Current students Elizabeth Scott ’21 and Jade Johnsamson ’22 take you on a virtual tour of the labs and classrooms that make up the Natural Sciences Department. See why our facilities and small class sizes give you the kind of practical lab experience you want.