- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/108/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25538_BIO_Lab_Flipped.rev.1700470414.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Biology BS Major</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/108/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25533_DSC_6261_2.rev.1701224990.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Biology BS Major</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/108/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/26800_Biochemistry_3.rev.1698339357.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Biology BS Major</h1></div></div>
You’re curious about what makes living organisms tick. You feel at home in a lab examining specimens or out in the field collecting them. There is no better time to prepare for a career in the biological sciences. More than 90% of our graduates have full-time employment in a science field or are enrolled in a graduate program within six months of graduation.
Why Study Biology at MMC?
MMC offers BA and BS degrees in Biology. Which degree you choose depends on where you see yourself after graduation. The BS in Biology prepares you to become a research scientist or to enter graduate school in any field of life science. It also provides the foundation for entrance to medical, dental, veterinary, or physician assistant programs. The Biology BA: Human Biology, Health, and Society major is for you if you’re seeking a career in other health science professions, like physical or occupational therapy.
Whichever path you choose, you will be soaking up science knowledge in small classes and taking advantage of unique research opportunities, all in the heart of New York City. You will have exceptional access to biomedical internships in the top hospitals and research institutions in the nation, including Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Weill Cornell Medicine, Rockefeller University, Mt. Sinai, and the Hospital for Special Surgery. We also offer opportunities to conduct original research with faculty in the Natural Sciences. The close mentorship you will receive here is unlike any other program. Students who complete a senior thesis graduate with Honors in the major. As a result of these experiences, our alumni have excellent outcomes. Our Department of Natural Sciences has academic linkages with the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine and the Touro College of Pharmacy.
What You Will Learn
- Deepen your knowledge of biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics.
- Enhance your critical thinking skills to integrate and apply scientific information.
- Use research strategies to address scientific questions and become an active participant in the scientific community.
- Be uniquely prepared for post-baccalaureate careers, advanced degrees, and professional programs.
Through research lab with Prof. Ann Aguanno at MMC, I was able to gain first-hand experience collecting data and conversing with professionals that could only be achieved in a small school. Dr. Aguanno’s lab allowed me to have a close relationship with my mentors and work on a professional level that gave me the background to transition to a career in research at Rockefeller University and actively contribute to the molecular understanding of many neurological diseases.Kevin Mora ’19
Class of 2019, Major in Biology
I graduated in May 2020 and was hired by Columbia University Irving Medical Center as a Research Technician in the Department of Neurosurgery. I am looking forward to learning more about science in a clinical setting to prepare me for my future endeavors, and I am thankful for the faculty in MMC’sNatural Sciences Department for preparing me for this experience!Julia Furnari ’20
Class of 2020, Major in Biology
Take A Tour of the Natural Sciences Department
Students Elizabeth Scott ’21 and Jade Johnsamson ’22 take you on a virtual tour of the labs and classrooms that make up the Natural Sciences Department. See how our facilities and small class sizes give you exceptional hands-on lab experience.