- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25408_Tommy.rev.1670381856.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">BFA in Musical Theatre Major</h1></div><div class="hero__extra"><a href="/live/image/gid/95/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25408_Tommy.jpg" class="hero__about" title="Tommy" data-minimodal="true" data-minimodal-rootclass="minimodal--alt" data-minimodal-caption="<em>Tommy</em>"><span class="svg svg--plus hero__about__icon"><svg data-xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 33 33"><path d="M33 15v3H18v15h-3V18H0v-3h15V0h3v15z"/></svg></span>About this image</a></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25407_Theatre_Top_Header_5_21st_Century_Noel_at_Lincoln_Center.rev.1670381866.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">BFA in Musical Theatre Major</h1></div><div class="hero__extra"><a href="/live/image/gid/95/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25407_Theatre_Top_Header_5_21st_Century_Noel_at_Lincoln_Center.jpg" class="hero__about" title="21st Century Noel at Lincoln Center" data-minimodal="true" data-minimodal-rootclass="minimodal--alt" data-minimodal-caption="<em>21st Century Noel at Lincoln Center</em>"><span class="svg svg--plus hero__about__icon"><svg data-xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 33 33"><path d="M33 15v3H18v15h-3V18H0v-3h15V0h3v15z"/></svg></span>About this image</a></div></div>
Why Study BFA in Musical Theatre?
Musical Theatre is the ultimate collaborative storytelling art form. Our students learn to incorporate music, dance, and acting with a liberal arts education to create and produce compelling and imaginative theatre.
Why Study BFA in Musical Theatre at MMC?
The BFA in Musical Theatre major is a rigorous program combining training in acting, singing, and dancing with a robust liberal arts education. Our curriculum will prepare you for a successful professional career in the musical theatre industry while also providing you the education to be a global citizen and creative changemaker. In your first year, you’ll jump right into your musical theatre training with over 12-hours of studio instruction a week. In upper-level classes, you’ll perfect your technique and prepare for your career in The Musical Theatre Song Portfolio and Professional Preparation: Musical Theatre.
What You Will Learn as a BFA in Musical Theatre Major
- Acting Training: Our Acting faculty will compel you to use your very own imagination, instinct, and intellect to actively ignite your process. You will learn how to demonstrate the concept of “live truthfully under imaginary circumstances,” in tandem with voice training and body awareness, script analysis, and participation in rehearsal process techniques. Accompanied with respectful rigor and support, our faculty will assist you in developing and demonstrating initiative, discipline, agency, and responsibility for your work as performing artists.
- Dance Training: As a BFA in Musical Theatre student you will train in our Daily Dance program. Each year you’ll dance five days a week with working professionals, studying a variety of disciplines including tap, ballet, and theatre dance.
- Vocal Training: By working with your private voice teacher every week, you will have an individualized course of study over your four years at Marymount Manhattan. You will learn healthy vocal technique, vocal anatomy, productive practice routines, and how to approach song study for a musical perspective.
Daily Dance (every semester for 4-years)
Private Voice (every semester for 4-years)
Voice and Speech I and II
Acting: Process and Technique
Acting: Beginning Scene Study
Fundamentals of Musical Theatre A and B
Musical Theatre Techniques I and II
Theatre Histories I and II
Elements of Directing
Shakespeare, the Stage, and Humanity
Scene into Song I and II
Acting: Intermediate Scene Study
Acting: Advanced Scene Study
The Musical Theatre Song Portfolio
Professional Preparation: Musical Theatre
Advance Studies in Drama and Theatre
I moved to New York wanting to be an actor. MMC helped me realize that there were other careers in the theater. If not for the flexibility of MMC’s liberal arts programs, I would not have been able to make the transition from in front of to behind the curtain so easily or fruitfully.Aaron Glick
Class of 2006, B.A. in Theatre Arts
Winner, Tony Award for Best Revival of a Play for The Boys in the Band
Marymount Manhattan College allowed me to create the exact college experience I wanted! The wide variety of classes, the wonderful professors, and the convenience of being in New York City all helped me explore many different aspects of theatre arts. I got real-life experience in the city during my years in school. That was the most valuable part of my time at Marymount Manhattan.Emmy Raver-Lampman
Class of 2012, B.A. in Theatre Arts and Musical Theatre
Broadway’s Hamilton,A Night with Janis Joplin, Jekyll & Hyde, and Hair
Top College Program
Each year, the team at OnStage Blog announces the best performing arts schools for the coming year based on research by theatre educators, students, alumni, and parents—the people who really know what’s important in theatre education. MMC made the cut and was praised for our impressive master classes and lectures.