- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/25605_Recording_studio.rev.1618339707.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Sound Design Concentration</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/25631_Studio_Recording_Trio.rev.1618418592.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Sound Design Concentration</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/25633_Sound_Recording_1.rev.1618418796.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Sound Design Concentration</h1></div></div>
You are passionate about theatre. You are creative, talented, and enjoy collaborating with others. In the Sound Design concentration you will learn to think critically and create designs that support productions that address the current issues in our society. You will be actively engaged in our productions learning the practical skills needed to execute your ideas.
Why Study Sound Design at MMC?
You will receive strong conservatory training in a robust theatre program while getting a well-rounded college experience. You will develop a pre-professional design process that integrates disciplines from across the College. Experience everything New York City offers as the center of the entertainment industry. You will learn from faculty members who are working professional designers. Our design and technology course sequence builds a thorough design process incorporating technical skills, theatre history, and practical experience. Our inclusive and diverse student body have opportunities to study with New York theatre professionals, design mainstage productions, establish professional contacts, participate in a one-on-one mentorship, and obtain internships with some of New York’s major theatre designers, theatres, television studios, and film companies.
What You Will Learn
- You will learn to create and mix soundscapes for plays and working with professional sound designers learn to mix and run sound for musicals.
- You will learn to work with the latest digital software and to plan and use the equipment needed to provide sound for a live production. For example, you will have the opportunity to design the sound for productions in our Theresa Lang Theatre and similar work designing for our other venues.
- Through coursework and experiential participation in mounted production opportunities, you will learn aural and dramatic analysis, conceptualization, and research skills needed to plan designs and effectively present them to directors and other production team members.
I attended MMC’s Speech Pathology program for 3 years as a transfer student, but I can assure you it was the best decision I made. This program and the on-campus clinic gave me the confidence I needed to go onto grad school. I was more prepared than half my cohort was and I was one of the few students who had previous experience with clients.Victoria Hartnett ’20
Class of 2020, Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology major
Upon entering MMC, I was torn between choosing a theatre-based major and a non-performing arts major because of my interests in different academic fields. Discovering that MMC had a Theatre Arts minor allowed me to study the aspects of theatre that I am passionate about while also allowing myself to devote time to my other academic interests.Jacqueline Carrillo ’21
Class of 2021, Minor in Theatre
In 2004, I registered for the first Drama Therapy course offered at the College. The course was part of my Psychology minor and fulfilled a Theatre elective for my major. I was blown away by the use of Theatre forms to encourage healing, growth, and self-expression. Inspired by the class, I pursued graduate study in Drama Therapy at New York University’s Steinhardt School of Education. It was, undoubtedly, one of the best decisions I made in my life. Today, in my role as Drama Therapist, I have the honor of guiding marginalized young people with clinical artistry and love.Adam Stevens ’04
Class of 2004, Major in Theatre Arts with concentrations in Theatre Performance and Directing
Diversity Chair, North America Drama Therapy Association
I feel lucky to have had the support from the professors at MMC who have continued to serve as mentors post-graduation and my incredible support system of friends who I met during my time at MMC. The Communication and Media Arts department provided me with a foundation of media skills, research experience, and internship opportunities have prepared me for my next step.Sarah Rosenthal ’18
I credit Marymount Manhattan as a school that brought out the best version of myself. Instrumental to my success were the Business Division faculty and staff, the valuable internship opportunities to which they connected me, and the rigorous preparation they provided.Brenelle Braganza ’19
MMC’s New York City
The center of theatre in the United States, NYC is an amazing city in which to find your artistic voice. The College is centrally located in Manhattan and offers classes that allow students to experience the richness of the city. Our students are exposed to great theatre – on Broadway, Off-Broadway, along Theatre Row, and downtown in experimental theaters. Performance research and study is available throughout the city. Internships. Apprenticeships. Emerging media. This city is your campus.