- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/25605_Recording_studio.rev.1618339707.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Sound Design Concentration</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/25633_Sound_Recording_1.rev.1618418796.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Sound Design Concentration</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/25631_Studio_Recording_Trio.rev.1618418592.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Sound Design Concentration</h1></div></div>
You are passionate about theatre. You are creative, talented, and enjoy collaborating with others. In the Sound Design concentration you will learn to think critically and create designs that support productions that address the current issues in our society. You will be actively engaged in our productions learning the practical skills needed to execute your ideas.
Why Study Sound Design at MMC?
You will receive strong conservatory training in a robust theatre program while getting a well-rounded college experience. You will develop a pre-professional design process that integrates disciplines from across the College. Experience everything New York City offers as the center of the entertainment industry. You will learn from faculty members who are working professional designers. Our design and technology course sequence builds a thorough design process incorporating technical skills, theatre history, and practical experience. Our inclusive and diverse student body have opportunities to study with New York theatre professionals, design mainstage productions, establish professional contacts, participate in a one-on-one mentorship, and obtain internships with some of New York’s major theatre designers, theatres, television studios, and film companies.
What You Will Learn
- You will learn to create and mix soundscapes for plays and working with professional sound designers learn to mix and run sound for musicals.
- You will learn to work with the latest digital software and to plan and use the equipment needed to provide sound for a live production. For example, you will have the opportunity to design the sound for productions in our Theresa Lang Theatre and similar work designing for our other venues.
- Through coursework and experiential participation in mounted production opportunities, you will learn aural and dramatic analysis, conceptualization, and research skills needed to plan designs and effectively present them to directors and other production team members.
What did I enjoy most at Marymount? First and foremost would be the faculty of the Business Division. Each member of this team brings forth an unprecedented knowledge base in an array of subject matter. But what separates them from simply being intellects is their pride and love for teaching.Jacob Webber ’12
Class of 2012, B.S. in Entrepreneurship
Art is not created in a vacuum and it is irresponsible to ignore the multiple widespread injustices plaguing our society. In my independent work, I attempt to use my platform to make meaningful contributions addressing these inequities and to pivot to provide space for underrepresented voices. I currently serve as the Next Generation Fellow for the Martin E. Segal Theatre Center (at the CUNY Graduate Center), where I am focused on amplifying the goal of accessible resources and conversations in order to connect and invest in our global community.Andie Lerner ’18
Class of 2018, Major in Acting and Directing, Minor in Arts for Communities
I cannot imagine a better start in this industry anywhere else, and I’m excited to see what doors will open for me as soon as I complete my internship at FOX5.Steven Lu ’20
I have been given a lot more responsibilities. For example, I had to go to a concert production company warehouse and safely transport a keyboard to a radio studio for one of our artist’s sessions. I was also given confidential music to listen to and transcribe the lyrics.Natalie Sorkin ’20
Class of 2020, B.A. in Business with a concentration in Advertising and Promotion
Marymount provided me with an excellent cornerstone for my artistic endeavors, and business aspirations. The business faculty transcended the confines of the classroom setting and became cherished mentors long after I graduated.Douglas Makuta ’12
Class of 2012, B.A. in Business with a concentration in Media and Arts Management
MMC’s New York City
The center of theatre in the United States, NYC is an amazing city in which to find your artistic voice. The College is centrally located in Manhattan and offers classes that allow students to experience the richness of the city. Our students are exposed to great theatre – on Broadway, Off-Broadway, along Theatre Row, and downtown in experimental theaters. Performance research and study is available throughout the city. Internships. Apprenticeships. Emerging media. This city is your campus.