Student Visa Process

After you are accepted, you will need to apply for a visa to study in the United States. Let’s get started.

Eligible Students

  • Students who intend to apply for an F-1 visa through United States consulates/embassies in their home countries.
  • F-1 visa holders who will transfer to Marymount Manhattan from another school in the United States.
  • Prospective students on foreign visas wanting to apply for a change of status through USCIS within the United States.

STeps to obtain f-1 student visa

  • After you are officially accepted to Marymount Manhattan College, review the instructions and complete the I-20 Application.
  • Submit the I-20 Application with all required documents to the MMC Admissions Office, attention to International Admissions.
  • After all required information is submitted and reviewed, you will receive your I-20 from MMC.
  • Pay SEVIS I-901 fee prior to appointment at U.S. consulate/embassy 
  • Schedule an appointment at a U.S. consulate/embassy to apply for your F-1 visa. 

F-1 Visa Transfer Procedures

If you currently have an F-1 student visa and would like to transfer to Marymount Manhattan College from another institution within the United States, you must complete the following procedures:

  • Complete Part I of the Transfer Verification Form.
  • Submit the Transfer Verification Form to the Designated School Official at your current institution. The DSO will complete Part II.
  • Submit the completed verification form to the MMC International Admission Department. 
  • Please be advised that you will not be issued a new I-20 until your SEVIS record has been successfully completed.

Financial Documentation

To insure that all costs can be met, all international students and their sponsors must demonstrate the ability to pay for tuition, fees, and living expenses for a minimum of one academic year. International students will not receive an I-20 until they have submitted a completed I-20 Application accompanied by financial documentation. 

Estimated annual expenses for an F-1 visa student living in a residence hall for the 2014-15 academic year are:



Tuition & Fees:

$28,700 USD

Living Expenses (room & board):

$15,500 USD

Other (medical insurance/books/transportation):

$2,600 USD


$46,800 USD/year

Students planning to live off-campus must still provide financial documentation for the full academic year. 

Dependent Costs

If you are going to be accompanied by a spouse or child, you must show an additional amount: $10,000 annually for your spouse; $3,000 for each child. *Medical insurance is an approximation and is subject to change. Additional medical insurance for spouse and/or child will be an added expense per year.