Veterans & Dependents

We recognize and appreciate your service, or the service of your family, to the United States of America. We welcome your application and look forward to helping you reach your goal of furthering your education.

If you are an eligible dependent (survivor, spouse, or child) of a veteran, the VA  provides education and training opportunities through the Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program (Chapter  35) which includes a stipend.

  • Eligible dependent’s must apply by submitting the VA  Form 22-5490 and/or VA 22-5495 (if transferring colleges) form(s) online or by mail to the appropriate VA regional office.
  • Once your application has been processed by the VA, you will be mailed a certificate of eligibility (COE) which states your specific entitlements. You will need the SSN of the veteran in order to process the COE.
  • Please email copies of the above forms to MMC.
  • Apply to MMC.
Step 1: Apply for Veterans Educational Benefits

Apply for your benefits. If  you are eligible to transfer your Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) educational benefit, visit the VA website to transfer education benefits to an eligible dependent. After  you have applied for Veteran Educational benefits on the Veterans Affairs  website, submit the following documents:

  • Certificate of Eligibility. You should have received this document from the VA, it states what educational benefit you are eligible for and in the case of Chapter 33 benefits (Post 9/11) at what percentage you will be paid.
  • If transferring from another college please fill out VA 22-1995 (for veterans) or VA 22-5495 (for dependents) and send the proper form to the appropriate regional VA office by mail or complete and submit it online.
  • Transfer eligible military education to corresponding civilian credit at the Joint Services Transcript website.
  • Mail to MMC to the attention of the Center for Student Services.

In addition, please email copies of all documents to

Step 2: Apply for Admission to MMC

Admission to MMC is on a rolling basis which means that there is no set deadline to submit your application. Transfer students should apply as soon as they begin their final semester in their previous college or prior to leaving active duty. Once all required documents are received, it will take 2-3 weeks to receive your decision or a request for additional information.

To get a comparative view of your benefits at MMC, you can use the GI Bill Comparison Tool. 

If any coursework was completed during  military service, you will apply as a transfer student. Even if the coursework from your AARTS/CCAF/CGI/SMART  transcript will not be transferrable, you will still be considered a transfer  applicant. The MMC Judicial Record Form requirement will be waived for military veterans just completing active duty. The recommendation letter can be completed by a commanding officer, high school teacher, employer, or college professor.

If no coursework was completed, you should apply as a first-year

Military transcripts can be requested  through by visiting Joint Services Transcript. They are also accessible through the individual services pages.

Step 3: Apply for Scholarships & Financial Aid
  • All students are encouraged to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. If you are a New York State resident, also apply for the NYS  Veteran’s Tuition Award and the New York State Tuition Assistance Program.
  • MMC is a participating school in the Yellow Ribbon Program. Students who have exhausted their annual benefit rate of 100% under the Post 9/11 GI bill during the academic year will be automatically reviewed for the Yellow Ribbon Program.  MMC will award up to ten veteran participants a Yellow Ribbon Grant ranging from $100-$2000 from MMC, which the Office of Veterans Affairs will match in an academic year. 
  • Apply for the VA work study allowance to “earn while you learn”.
  • MMC offers several institutional scholarships to assist in funding the cost of higher education.
  • Below is a listing of several veteran specific scholarships. For additional opportunities, view the Veteran Scholarship Database.

Wyakin Warrior Foundation Receive a college scholarship, assistance with living expenses and career guidance and mentor-ship as an OEF/OIF wounded Veteran.    

Tillman Military Scholarships Supports educational opportunities for Veterans, Service Members and their families by covering direct study-related expenses such as tuition, fees, books, room and board, and other needs, such as child care.

Sentinels of Freedom Grants two to four year educational scholarships to Service Members who sustained injuries resulting in 60 percent or higher permanent disability.

Veterans of Foreign Wars  (VFW) Military Scholarship Program of the VFW that  provides scholarships for education or training to VFW members who are currently serving in uniform or have been discharged in the past 36 months.

Step 4: Academic Requirements for Eligibility

Make sure you know what is required to maintain your eligibility for veteran educational benefits.

Chapter 33

Rate of pursuit applies specifically to Chapter 33. It differs from training time, which is used for all other chapters. Schools certify actual credit. VA calculates rate of pursuit by dividing the number of credit (or credit hour equivalents) being pursued by the number of credit considered to be full-time by the school. The resulting percentage is the student’s rate of pursuit.

Examples: If full-time is 12 credits, then rate of pursuit for:

  • 6 credits (or credit equivalents) is 50% (6*12 = 50%)
  • 7 credits (or credit equivalents) is 58% (7*12 = 58%)

The housing allowance is paid if the student’s rate of pursuit is more than 50%. Rate of  pursuit determines whether a student receives or doesn’t receive the housing allowance. If pursuit is greater than 50% and less than 100% the student receives a pro-rated amount of the housing  allowance.

Chapters 30, 1607, 1606, 35, and 31

  • Full-time: 12 credits
  • 3/4 time: 9 to 11 credits
  • 1/2 time: 6 to 8 credits
  • Less than 1/2 time: 5 credits or less

Full-time equivalency is defined as regularly enrolled for 12 or more credit hours, full  length of the term.  Students certified for less than full-time will have their eligibility proportionately extended. Veterans registering for classes which meet for less than the standard 10-11 week session will be certified by the number of credits for the class and the class dates and paid accordingly. 

Contact the Veteran Certifying Official for details or help determining credit loads for short term classes and during summer term.

In addition if you are covered under the MGIB-Active Duty (Chapter 30), MGIB Selected Reserve (Chapter   1606),  Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP, Chapter 1607) or Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP) you must verify your enrollment monthly  using the W.A.V.E. system.

You must have a current or active benefit award which are records with activity in the last 12 months.

Step 5: Review the Accepted Student Steps

Visit Accepted Students and follow the steps to complete the requirements for attendance.

Step 6: Verify Enrollment

By this point, you have completed all the steps required for admission, set up education benefits, and applied for scholarships. You are now about to begin you first semester  at Marymount Manhattan College.

  • Once you receive your schedule for the semester, check your enrollment verification with VA eBenefits. Under the tab “View My Status” click on the link “Post-9/11 GI Bill Enrollment Status.”
  • Upon verification of enrollment by Marymount’s certifying official, the VA will mail you an information packet detailing containing information on: current enrollment in credit hours, percentage of benefits receiving, and benefits remaining (in months and days)
  • Understand the Payment Timeline

Post-9/11 GI Bill Tuition

Tuition payments will be paid directly to Marymount Manhattan College. You can monitor the payments issued to the school by viewing your payment history on your eBenefits page, or by checking your student account by logging into MMCConnect.

Post-9/11 GI Bill Housing Allowance

Payments will be mailed or direct deposited after your first month of classes. Direct deposit can be set up by completing the VA 24-0296 Direct Deposit Enrollment form, or by accessing your VA ebenefits account. Direct deposit requests are generally processed within 3 working days.

Current Housing Allowance Rates

Note: Your housing allowance is rated for an E-5 with dependents.

Montgomery GI Bill

After your first month of class is complete, make sure that your enrollment is verified using W.A.V.E. You will receive payment within two weeks of your enrollment verification from  W.A.V.E.