MMC’s Department of Art and Art History hosts frequent events and shows in the Hewitt Gallery of Art, and we love to highlight the accomplishments of our students, alumni, and faculty. To get a sense of how active the department is, check out our events and news stories below.
Check Back Soon!
Recent News from the Department
- October 20, 2020 After a virtual hiatus due to COVID-19, a new exhibition graces the walls of the Hewitt. Changing Lanes: Painters Explore Dimension in Clay will run in the Hewitt Gallery of Art from October 19–December 2, 2020.
- September 3, 2020 After spending the spring 2020 semester creating artwork in quarantine, seven senior Art majors opened the Virtual Senior Solos Exhibition in the Hewitt Gallery of Art, all online!
- August 4, 2020 Associate Professor of Academic Writing, Tahneer Oksman, Ph.D., along with her co-author Seamus O’Malley, have been awarded the CSS Prize for Edited Book Collection for their book, The Comics of Julie Doucet and Gabrielle Bell (University of Mississippi Press, 2019).
- May 26, 2020 Diller, a graduating Art major with concentrations in Photography and Graphic Design, has earned a coveted Fulbright English Teaching
Assistantship to serve as a language-learning assistant in the Czech Republic for the 2020-21 academic year.
- May 19, 2020 As the end of the Spring 2020 semester rapidly approaches, our students have been busy with a wide variety of final presentations, projects, and productions, which have kept the College’s virtual campus abuzz. Across each academic department, the end of the semester highlights the very best in student achievement at MMC.
- May 18, 2020 Congratulations, Class of 2020! We are so incredibly proud of the work, dedication, and passion you have put into your studies while at MMC, and we can’t WAIT to see what is in store for you next. Please enjoy a message from our faculty, staff, and administration who wanted to wish you well as you start your next adventure. Despite the circumstances, we are all celebrating with YOU in spirit. Congratulations to the Class of 2020!
- March 24, 2020 Each spring, Marymount Manhattan College’s Honors Day Colloquium showcases top research from across the disciplines and hosts induction ceremonies for campus and academic-based Honor Societies, as well as the Barry Commoner Lecture on the Environment.
- March 9, 2020
- February 22, 2020 Pen + Brush presents the exploratory constructs of Margaret Roleke ’84, who creates work that investigates current issues of gun violence and consumption.
- January 29, 2020 Art alum Kristen Haskell’s one-person exhibition is at the Sweet Lorraine Gallery from January 29-February 28, 2020.