MMC’s Department of Art and Art History hosts frequent events and shows in the Hewitt Gallery of Art, and we love to highlight the accomplishments of our students, alumni, and faculty. To get a sense of how active the department is, check out our events and news stories below.
Check Back Soon!
Recent News from the Department
- December 24, 2020 While courses within the Department of Art and Art History were conducted remotely throughout the Fall 2020 semester, faculty and students took advantage of public art spaces and exhibits around New York City as creative influences for their projects.
- December 4, 2020 E. Jane ’12, an Art History major with minors in English and World Literatures and Philosophy, will exhibit their work at MoMA PS1 as part of The Studio Museum in Harlem’s annual Artist-in-Residence exhibition. In addition, Jane will participate in an online Roundtable on Monday, December 7 from 7:00-8:00 p.m to discuss their work completed throughout the residency program.
- November 9, 2020 Margaret Roleke ’84, an activist, artist, and graduate of MMC’s Studio Art program, is exhibiting original pieces in multiple shows throughout the fall of 2020.
- October 24, 2020 Brian Slattery wrote an outstanding article on Margaret Roleke’s work for the first installment of “Made Visible” at Creative Arts Workshop in New Haven.
The show runs in the window of the gallery. For more information on Creative Arts Workshop and further installments of “Made Visible,” visit CAW’s website.
- October 20, 2020 After a virtual hiatus due to COVID-19, a new exhibition graces the walls of the Hewitt. Changing Lanes: Painters Explore Dimension in Clay will run in the Hewitt Gallery of Art from October 19–December 2, 2020.
- September 3, 2020 After spending the spring 2020 semester creating artwork in quarantine, seven senior Art majors opened the Virtual Senior Solos Exhibition in the Hewitt Gallery of Art, all online!
- August 4, 2020 Associate Professor of Academic Writing, Tahneer Oksman, Ph.D., along with her co-author Seamus O’Malley, have been awarded the CSS Prize for Edited Book Collection for their book, The Comics of Julie Doucet and Gabrielle Bell (University of Mississippi Press, 2019).
- May 26, 2020 Diller, a graduating Art major with concentrations in Photography and Graphic Design, has earned a coveted Fulbright English Teaching
Assistantship to serve as a language-learning assistant in the Czech Republic for the 2020-21 academic year.
- May 19, 2020 As the end of the Spring 2020 semester rapidly approaches, our students have been busy with a wide variety of final presentations, projects, and productions, which have kept the College’s virtual campus abuzz. Across each academic department, the end of the semester highlights the very best in student achievement at MMC.
- May 18, 2020 Congratulations, Class of 2020! We are so incredibly proud of the work, dedication, and passion you have put into your studies while at MMC, and we can’t WAIT to see what is in store for you next. Please enjoy a message from our faculty, staff, and administration who wanted to wish you well as you start your next adventure. Despite the circumstances, we are all celebrating with YOU in spirit. Congratulations to the Class of 2020!