Picture the City 2023
The Spring 2023 Great Migrations Photography Competition
“A way of certifying experience, taking photographs is also a way of refusing…”
- Susan Sontag, On Photography, p.10
The Department of Politics and Human Rights launches our second annual collaborative photography competition open to all majors. The competition is part of this Spring’s “ Great Migrations Academy,” a college-wide, semester-long series of speakers and workshops focused on the social, political, cultural, and artistic issues raised by the movement of people across borders of all kinds.
A Call for Photographic Work to Interrogate Questions of Migration and Border-Crossing
Photography renders the present, but also helps us dream. As waves of Covid 19 have left no social system untouched during the last two years, we are prompted to imagine and transform the future. For example,
- How do experiences of migration, displacement, exile, and/or border crossing affect peoples’ lives and worldviews?
- How do we see that in art and cultural production?
- How can our scholarship, scientific inquiry, and creative work contribute to understanding and transforming these experiences?
The photo contest is open to all Marymount Manhattan College students registered this Spring. Final photographs will be selected by a committee of current students and alumni of Politics and Human Rights.
Recognition & Awards:
The first prize winner will receive a $100 prize. Honorable mentions will receive a $50 prize. The winner and honorable mentions will each have their own feature on our website and will be presented across our social media channels.
The winner, honorable mentions, and the top four finalists will be showcased among entry selections in this year’s edition of the student-produced digital journal TwoTwoOne.
How to Enter:
- Submit up to five (5) original photographs taken between March 2021 - April 2023.
- The deadline to submit the photos is April 15, 2023.
- Follow instructions below and use Box file upload form: https://mmm.app.box.com/f/9c7abc895b2949599e8ad41de376d0a6
- Image Size and Format: Each image must be JPEG and 1,500 px on the longest side with resolution of 72 dpi.
- Title each image file in the following format before you upload to Box (IMPORTANT): Last name_First name_Photo Title_# of photo in sequence. For example, the file for a submission of one photo by John Doe titled “Future” should be named: Doe_John_Future_1.jpg.
- Both black and white and color images are eligible.
Deadline and Time Frame:
Call for entries open: February 9, 2023
Submission deadline: April 15, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. EST
Announcement Winner and Honorable Mentions: April 2023
Publication of winning photographs in TwoTwoOne May 2023