Teaching Tips and Articles to Ponder
- How to Make Your Teaching More Engaging
- Improving Classroom Engagement with Online Technologies
- Small Teaching: How to Improve Your Teaching Incorporating “Small” Changes
- First Day Tips
- Are College Lectures Unfair?
- Conducting Effective Exam Review Sessions
- Should We Ban Technology from Classroom?
- Designing Writing Assignments
- Laptops Negatively Affect Learning in Classroom
- Leveraging Online Collaboration Tools to Enhance Student Engagement
- End-of-Course Evaluations: Making Sense of Student Comments
- The Post-Lecture Classroom: How Will Students Fare?
- Cellphones in the Classroom: What’s Your Policy?
- Reading Circles Get Students To Do the Reading
- Keeping Introverts in Mind in Your Active Learning Classroom
- Teaching Students the Value of Deceleration and Immersive Attention
- How Accurately Do Students Track Their Class Participation?
- First Day of Class Activities that Create a Climate for Learning
- Laptops in Class Lowers Student Grades
Podcasts, Ted Talks, and Other Videos to Ponder
Journals for Undergraduate Research
- Optimizing Online Education (Prepared by Professor Martinez-Novoa and Professor Trikha)
Pedagogy Resources by Topic
- Transformation: The Journal of Inclusive Scholarship and Pedagogy (journal)
- The Teaching Professor (newsletter)
- Radical Teacher
- Research and Teaching in Developmental Education (journal of New York State College Learning Skills Association)
- Tompkins, Jane. A Life in School: What the teacher learned Reading, MA: Perseus Books, 1996.
- Carleton College’s Teaching Resources: includes links on activities and assignments, course design, pedagogical techniques, quantitative literacy, civic engagement, and more.
- Harvard University’s Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning : includes links on syllabus design, teaching with tech, lecturing, diversity in the classroom, and teaching portfolios.
- The University of Iowa’s self-diagnostic Inventory of Teaching Goals
- Vanderbilt University’s Center for Teaching : includes links on teaching activities like case studies, cooperative learning, difficult dialogues, independent studies, visual learning, and more.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education’s ProfHacker blog
Time Management/ Workload
- Bain, Ken. What the Best College Teachers Do. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2004.
- Lang, James M. On Course: A week-by-week guide to your first semester of college teaching. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2008.
- How to Handle the Paper Load. 1979-80 (but not dated!) Urbana: IL: NCTE.
Alternatives to Lecturing
- Finkel, Donald L. Teaching with Your Mouth Shut. Portsmith, NH: Boynton/Cook, 2000.
- Vilardi, Teresa and Mary Chang (Ed.). Writing-Based Teaching. Albany: State University of New York Press, 2009.
- Wood, Bonnie S. (Ed.). Lecture-Free Teaching. Arlington, VA: NSTA Press, 2009.
- Berrett, Dan, et al., How to Infuse Creativity in the Classroom .
- Davis, Lauren. Creative Teaching and Teaching Creativity: How to Foster Creativity in the Classroom
- Klawe, Maria. Teaching Creativity Is A Necessary Part Of Undergraduate Education
- Simpson, Mary The Affect Team Learning has on Creativity in a College Classroom Environment
- Wood, Charles 10 Hand-On Exercises to Spark Creativity and Innovation
Teaching Generation Z
- Grace, Meghan and Seemiller, Corey. Generation Z Goes to College. Jossey-Bass, 2016 (book)
- Shankar, Shalini. Beeline: What Spelling Bees Reveal about Generation Z’s New Path to Success. Basic Books, 2019 (book)
- The New Generation of Students: How Colleges Can Recruit, Teach, and Serve Gen Z . The Chronicle of Higher Education. 2018
- DeSena, Laura Hennessey. Preventing Plagiarism: Tips and Techniques . Urbana, IL: NCTE, 2007.
Pedagogy Journals by Discipline
For a good list of journals (by discipline) that publish the scholarship of teaching and learning and address general issues in higher education, see Kennesaw State University’s website .
- National Council of Teachers of English—they have lots of journals and books!
Fine and Performing Arts
- Journal of College Science Teaching (journal of National Science Teachers Association)
- National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Science Teacher Education
- Research in Science Education
- Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Teaching and Learning in Communication Sciences and Disorders
Pedagogy Conferences and Organizations
- Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U)
- Professional and Organizational Development Network in Higher Education (POD)
- The Teaching Professor
- National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Association for Developmental Education (NADE)
- Association for General and Liberal Studies (AGLS)
- National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
- Faculty Resource Network at New York University : Prof. Phil Meyers is our college liaison to the Network.
- College Art Association
- NYMAPS: New York Metro Area Partnership for Service Learning
- SENCER: Science Education for New Civic Engagements and Responsibilities
- For a very detailed listing of upcoming teaching conferences, check out Kennesaw State University’s Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning