President Donald Trump has declared the coronavirus pandemic to be a national emergency. The declaration:
- Makes available up to $50 billion in federal disaster aid
- Waives interest on student loans held by government agencies
- Waives rules limiting the number of beds and length of stay in hospitals
- Makes telehealth more easily accessible, providing care in ways that will not require patients to come into a doctor’s office
- Allows hospitals to bring additional physicians on board
Trump also announced plans to partner with pharmaceutical and retail companies to set up drive-thru coronavirus test sites.
Source: USA Today