The Office of Academic Advisement provides a wide range of services for many different students. To make our FAQ page easy to navigate, we’ve separated out our questions into different sub-categories. Please use the dropdowns below to navigate to the question you are asking!

  • General Advisement

    Who is my faculty advisor?
    Every matriculated student at MMC has an assigned faculty advisor. If you have declared your major, your advisor will be a faculty member teaching in your major field of concentration. If you are an undecided student in the Liberal Studies Program (LSP), you will be assigned to the LSP academic advisor within the Office of Academic Advisement. To find out who your advisor is, check MMC Connect/Profile

    When am I supposed to see my faculty advisor?
    Students must see their faculty advisor prior to registration each semester. You may also make an appointment to see your faculty advisor during the semester to discuss any other academic issues.

    What happens during the advisement session with my faculty advisor?
    During the advisement session your faculty advisor will help you choose your classes for the following semester and can answer any questions you have about requirements and your degree progress.

  • Degree Requirements

    How many credits do I need to graduate from MMC?
    Students are required to earn a minimum of 120 credits in order to graduate. This includes completing both the general education and major requirements. Of these credits, at least 30 must be completed at MMC in order to be eligible for degree completion.

    What is the General Education Curriculum?
    The General Education curriculum is at the center of the Marymount Manhattan academic experience. While our students major in a wide variety of disciplines, their academic careers all have one thing in common. By the time they graduate from Marymount, they will complete a curriculum that expands their intellectual horizons and challenges them to think and learn in ways that push them beyond the boundaries of their chosen majors. At the same time, they will master a set of skills that will help them succeed in their chosen career paths. The General Education Curriculum consists of 42 credits and has three components, which include 9 credits in the Foundation Courses, 15 credits in the Disciplinary Studies (DS), & 18 credits in the Advanced Interdisciplinary Perspectives (AIP).  

    What is a major?
    A major is a field of study that a student chooses to explore in depth. MMC offers a selection of liberal arts and pre-professional majors. Study in any major prepares students for graduate work and for a broad range of careers. Majors require the completion of 34 or more credits, depending upon the discipline. Specific requirements for majors are located on the Graduation Requirements page. In meeting the requirements of a given major, a minimum of twelve credits must be completed at MMC.

    What are electives/minors/dual majors?
    Most students will have the opportunity to explore additional areas of study through the completion of electives. Electives are chosen not prescribed. Students are encouraged to consult with an advisor to discuss how to make best use of their elective credits. They may choose to take courses in various areas of interest or structure electives in order to pursue a second (or dual) major, a minor or minors. A minor is an additional area of study and requires fewer credits for completion as compared to the major. In meeting the requirements of a minor, a minimum of six credits must be completed at MMC.

    How do I declare or change a major? How do I add a minor?
    If you wish to declare or change your major, you need to fill out a Major Declaration Petition form. Once you submit the form to our office, we will update the system accordingly, and you will be assigned a new faculty advisor for the next course selection period.

    If you would like to declare or change your minor, you need to complete a Minor Declaration Petition form . Please note that while a major is mandatory, students have the option of whether or not to add a minor.

    What types of grades are required to satisfy my major & minor requirements?
    A student receiving a grade of D or below in a required major or elected minor course must repeat the course. When a student repeats a course, both the D grade and the new grade compute in the cumulative grade point average unless they have been approved for a grade waiver for the course. Note that if a course is repeated, a student will only earn credit for it once toward the degree. 

    What is a grade waiver?
    Students who receive a D, F, or WF grade are eligible to petition for a Grade Waiver. Should they retake the exact same course at MMC, the second grade alone would be calculated into their cumulative GPA, rather than averaging both grades together. The first grade would appear on the academic transcript with a designation that the waiver was used. As with any repeated course, the credit for the course is only counted once toward the degree. Students must fill out the Grade Waiver Petition form to be considered for this opportunity.

    When should I file for an official degree audit?
    If you have completed 85 or more credits, please visit Graduation Information for more information about official degree audits. 


  • Double Dipping

    What is double dipping?

    “Double dipping” occurs when you take a course that is a requirement in your major, minor or general education that can also count elsewhere (another major, minor, or general education). You may use this course to satisfy both requirements.

    How do I know if I qualify?
    If you have one major and no majors or minors, you may not utilize double dipping. If you have a major and minor(s) or are double majoring, you may use it where applicable.
    I’m not a freshmen, can I still double dip?
    Yes, this rule is effective immediately for all students regardless of their catalog year or first MMC semester.

    Can I “triple dip”?
    Yes. In rare cases, a course may be required for your major and minor, and may also fulfill a general education requirement. In these cases, the course may count for all three requirements.

    How can I figure out if a class double dips?
    Refer to your Course Catalog for major and minor requirements. A list of courses that satisfy General Education requirements is available by clicking on “Latest Course Info” on the Marymount homepage. If you have any questions about a specific course, visit the Academic Advisement Office for clarification.
    Do I need to fill out a form to double dip?
    No. If your program allows you to double dip and you take a course that satisfies more than one requirement, it will be applied to both (please note that some courses require AIP substitutions from Academic Affairs; this rule will still apply to double dipping courses).
  • Liberal Studies Program

    What is the Liberal Studies Program (LSP)?
    At Marymount Manhattan College, the Liberal Studies Program (LSP) is designed specifically for students who are not yet ready to declare a major.  These students will utilize the General Education curriculum to explore different disciplines and a wide range of academic fields.  Ultimately, as LSP students complete college-wide requirements through exploration, they will discover their future major.  In the Liberal Studies Program, students receive a personalized advisor, and they have access to campus resources, including faculty mentors and Career Services. 

    Can I major in Liberal Studies?
    No.  The Liberal Studies Program is not a major.  It is a program designed to help students declare a major.  You must officially declare a major before the completion of 60 credits.

  • Transfer Students

    Does MMC accept transfer credits?
    Yes. Marymount Manhattan College accepts credits in transfer for coursework completed at colleges and universities accredited by the regional agencies of the United States Commission of Higher Education.

    For more information on MMC’s Transfer Credit Policy, please go to the College Catalogue or the Transfer Credit Guide.

    Are there alternate ways in which transfer credits may be earned?
    Yes. MMC accepts most CLEP exams or the NYU Language Proficiency exam. Official scores earned must be sent to Marymount Manhattan College. Students may earn a maximum of 12 credits for language proficiency. These credits may not be applied at the 300-Level or above. Transfer credits may also be awarded for Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate examinations.  Please refer to the College Catalogue for more information.

    Where can I view my approved transfer credits?
    You can find a list of your transfer credits on your transcript record at MMC Connect/Academic History.

    How do I figure out how my transfer credits apply to MMC’s curriculum and my expected graduation date?

    1. Use Program Evaluation (EVAL):

    Program EVAL is an advisement tool that a student can use in planning his/her academic program. The program evaluation will show all completed courses taken at MMC, transfer courses, in-progress, registered, and pre-registered courses and matches them against the requirements for a particular degree program. The EVAL is an internal document for advising purposes only.

    Access Program EVAL through your MMC Connect account, under “Academic Profile.”  If you just want to see a list of your transfer credits, look under the “Academic History” link.

    2. You are welcome to meet with a transfer student advisor in the Academic Advisement Office (LL Nugent). We will assist you with any transfer credit questions you may have.

    3. Planning Sheets for Majors/Minors/Gen Ed requirements are available  in the Graduation Requirements section of the Academic Advisement website.

    4. You can also meet with your faculty advisor or the chair person in your major department. He/she can further assist you with questions about transfer credits in the major.

    5. The College Catalogue has information on all major and minor requirements.

  • Academic Probation

    What does it mean to be on Academic Probation?

    All matriculated students at MMC must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 in order to remain in good academic standing. If you fall below a 2.0 cumulative GPA, you will be placed on academic probation.

    What do I have to do to get off probationary status?
    To be removed from probationary status, you need to raise your cumulative GPA to a level of at least 2.0 or higher. Failure to do so puts you in danger of dismissal from the college. If you have been placed on academic probation, it’s important that you speak to your faculty advisor and also that you meet with an academic advisor in the Office of Academic Advisement. We can help you identify your academic problems and assist you in finding the support you need to work your way back in good academic standing. 

    How many semesters can I be on probation before I must regain good academic standing?
    Students have three academic semesters to raise their cumulative GPA to a 2.0 or higher. Failure to earn a 2.0 or higher within the prescribed period of time will result in academic dismissal from the college by the Dean.

    How many courses can I register for when I am on academic probation?

    Students who are placed on academic probation can only register for 4 courses during the academic semester.

  • GPA

    What is GPA?
    Your GPA is your Grade Point Average. It is the numeric indicator of how you have performed academically each semester. Each grade you receive in a course is awarded Quality Points (i.e. a grade of A = 4.00 quality points), which are used to calculate an “average” of your grades in a given semester. The semester GPA only takes into account the grades for courses taken in that particular semester.

    What is cumulative GPA?
    The “Cum” or cumulative GPA (also called cumulative index) takes into account all your semesters at MMC and calculates your performance to date. Transfer credits or courses you’ve taken at other institutions are not computed in the GPA. 

    How will my GPA and cumulative GPA affect my studies at MMC?
    There are a number of good reasons to monitor your GPA and cumulative index. In order to maintain good academic standing at MMC, you must maintain a cumulative index of at least 2.0. If you go below 2.0, you will be placed on academic probation and may face dismissal if you do not raise your GPA within a prescribed period of time. A minimum index of 2.0 is required to graduate. You also need to be aware of your cumulative index if you would like to take a course overload, do an Independent Study, Study Abroad, Internship, or graduate with high recognition and honors. 

    How can I calculate my GPA?
    Your GPA can be found by viewing your Academic History via MMC Connect. To calculate your estimated GPA in a given semester, or to estimate the GPA you will receive for the current semester using your expected grades, you can use a GPA Calculator (note: this is an Excel file that downloads to your computer).