Career Services is dedicated to helping international students secure all types of employment while at MMC. From on-campus employment to internships to opportunities after graduation, our office can help you find, prepare, and apply for a variety of opportunities in your field of interest. Our Career Resources are geared for those seeking employment in the United States of America.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ON-CAMPUS EMPLOYMENT
- Employment must be directly related to providing service for students at the institution.
- Students must be enrolled full-time to be eligible for employment.
- Employment cannot exceed more than 20 hours per week while school is in session.
- Students may work full-time during breaks and vacations as long as they are enroll full-time for the next required semester.
On-Campus jobs can be found in MMC Career Connection by searching for “Federal Workstudy/On Campus Employment” and looking for the opportunities that use a Student Help Line. For assistance finding these opportunities, email or visit Career Services. The International Student Services Coordinator must be notified and approve on-campus employment.
Completing an internship as part of your undergraduate education is a great way to apply what you have learned in your classes to a real-world setting. It is also an opportunity to begin building a network with professionals and open up your options for employment after college.
Internships may be obtained through the Office of Career Services, a faculty advisor, or by the student. Make an appointment with Career Services to have your resume or cover letter reviewed before you begin applying to internships.
Internships for Credit
To Receive Academic Credit Students Must:
- Complete a minimum of 30 credits at MMC (or 15 MMC credits for transfer students).
- Possess a GPA of 2.0 or above.
- Find a full time faculty member at the college to sponsor and approve their internship. Faculty will also supervise students during their internships and provide them with assignments for this graded course.
- Complete CareerLab 3: Shape Your Experience Part 2: Rock Your Internship on Blackboard. You are required to complete and submit the assignment “Draft Your Informational Interview Questions” through the Blackboard System.
CPT and OPT
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is authorized employment which is an integral part of the F-1 Student’s major curriculum. Authorization is given by the International Student Services Coordinator. Students must get authorization for CPT before beginning their internship. Students will be authorized for CPT on a semester basis.
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a 12-month opportunity for F-1 Students to get work experience in the field they are studying. There are two types of OPT: Pre-Completion OPT and Post-Completion OPT. Employment authorization is granted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Application processing time for USCIS takes 45-90 days. The application fee is $410.
MMC Career Connection is Marymount Manhattan College’s online job and internship board. After creating an account with your MMC email, you can search for internship and job opportunities across industries and across the country.
MyVisaJobs.com - U.S. Job Board for International Applicants