Frequently Asked Questions for Study Abroad Students
The Financial Aid Office is located in the Center for Student Services in the lower level of the Nugent Building. We can be reached by phone at 212-517-0500 or by email at email@example.com.
Yes. However, students must meet the following requirements to be eligible for financial aid:
- Must be matriculated
- Must be enrolled full time
- Must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet all federal eligibility requirements
- Must complete the financial aid verification process (if FAFSA application is selected for verification)
- Must be approved to study abroad by the Study Abroad office
- Must submit a completed Study Abroad Financial Aid Application and all required documentation
Note: Students who have fulfilled their degree requirements, and would like to take additional classes cannot use federal aid to finance study abroad.
Students can use federal aid for the Fall and Spring semesters abroad as long as all eligibility and college requirements are met. Students can use the following financial aid to study abroad:
- Federal Pell Grant
- Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan
- Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
- Direct PLUS Loan
- Private/alternative loan
Students cannot use MMC grants/scholarship for study abroad. Merit and need-based grants awarded to students by the College can only be applied to charges incurred directly from courses at Marymount Manhattan College.
As your home school, MMC will process all approved financial aid for your semester(s) abroad when a completed consortium agreement is completed and provided verifying your enrollment by your host institution. You must submit and a return a Study Abroad Financial Aid Application with instructions regarding where you would like MMC to send your financial aid funds.
Once funds are received from all applicable disbursement agencies and applied to student’s account, refunds will be made payable to the Study Abroad Program, student’s parent, and/or student, as indicated on the Study Abroad Financial Aid Application.
To enroll, please follow these steps:
Log onto MMC Connect from www.mmm.edu
- Under the ‘Financial Information’ section
- Select ‘Bank Information (U.S.)’ and follow the on-screen instructions
- Once you complete the online registration, you will receive will receive an email confirmation
There is no formal financial aid available for the January term. Students who plan to study abroad in January must meet with Financial Aid Office to determine the best option for funding their program. Students are able to borrow Parent PLUS Loan or alternative loans for Study Abroad in January. These loans will be processed as part of the formal Spring term, which means that the institution you attend will not receive payment for January study until after the term has ended. Most programs have payment/financial aid notification forms that can be completed by the Financial Aid Office to inform the host institution of the amount and type of aid you will be receiving, as well as the date upon which such funds will be disbursed.
Students who study abroad in the Summer must be enrolled in at least 6 credits and have the option of using the same forms of aid that are available for Fall and Spring terms. Students must have completed their FAFSA application for the new academic year (for example, a student studying abroad in Summer 2023 must have a valid 2023-2024 FAFSA on file) and must have completed the financial aid verification process if they are selected. Any Pell Grant and Direct Student Loan funds used for study in the Summer are deducted from the total amount of financial aid a student may access during the standard academic year. As such, if a student is awarded a total of $6,500 in Direct Student Loan funding for the academic year and uses $2,000 of his or her Direct Student Loan funding for Summer study abroad, the student will be able to use the remaining $4,500 in Direct Student Loan funding during the subsequent Fall and Spring semesters.
- Please take into consideration that your aid can take several weeks for processing, so give yourself plenty of time to do everything beforehand.
- Make sure that you contact each office involved before you leave to ensure all paperwork is completed.
- Keep in touch with us while you are away for your semester abroad.
- Check your MMC email account regularly for updates.
- You are eligible to use external scholarships for study abroad. Students are strongly encouraged to apply for external scholarships to help fund their studies. The following websites can assist: