F-1 Students have some opportunities to engage in authorized employment in the U.S. Please click on each option below for more information and eligibility requirements. 

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

On-Campus Employment

Financial Hardship


Social Security

When F-1 students are granted work authorization through OPT, CPT, On-Campus Employment or Financial Hardship, they are eligible to apply for a Social Security number.  There is no cost for this service.  Please look at the required documents to apply here.  The application for a new Social Security number is here

The closest Social Security Administration office to Marymount Manhattan College is located at:

123 William Street
3rd Floor
New York, NY 10038

Monday-Friday, 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM