OPT is a 12-month opportunity for F-1 Students to get work experience in the field they are studying. There are two types of OPT: Pre-Completion OPT and Post-Completion OPT. Employment authorization is granted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Application processing time for USCIS takes 45-90 days. The application fee is $410.
STUDENT ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR OPT
- Maintained lawful F-1 status
- Has been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one academic year
- Employment is directly related to student’s major
This type of OPT is done while students are still pursuing their undergraduate degree at Marymount. Students can work part-time (20 hours or less) during required semesters or full-time (20 hours or more) during school vacation periods. Students can apply for OPT 90 days before requested start date. It is not required for students to have a job when applying for pre-completion OPT, but it is highly recommended. The amount of time used during pre-completion OPT takes away from the 12-month post-completion OPT.
This type of OPT is done after completing all degree requirements and students have officially graduated from Marymount Manhattan College. While doing post-completion OPT, students must work full-time (20 hours or more). Students can apply for post-completion OPT 90 days before their program end date or 60 days after their program end date. Students do not need a job to apply for post-completion OPT. Students must complete their OPT 14 months after their program end date.
How to apply?
If a student is interested in doing Pre-Completion or Post-Completion OPT, please review the OPT procedures and application and speak to the International Student Services Coordinator.
Maintaining Status while on OPT
- Work only in your major field of study and within the dates that you have been authorized on your Employment Authorization Document (EAD).
- Provide the following information regarding your employment to the International Student Services Coordinator. The must be done every time there is a change/interruption in employment.
- Employer’s name
- Employer’s address
- Start date
- End date
- Job title
- Job description
- Amount of hours per week
- Paid or unpaid (specific salary is not required)
- Do not exceed more than 90 days of unemployment.
- Update the International Student Services Coordinator of a change in address within 10 days of moving.
- Obtain a travel signature from the International Student Services Coordinator every six months.