Preferred Name Change Policy

Marymount Manhattan College recognizes that some students prefer to identify themselves by a name other than their Legal Name. For this reason, students may opt to use a “Preferred Name” in place of their Legal Name in the course of College business and education.

Under MMC’s Preferred Name Change policy, any student may choose to identify a Preferred First in addition to their Legal Name. Students may request this service by completing a Preferred Name Request form.  Once the PNR form has been filed, the Preferred Name will be displayed where possible in Marymount Manhattan’s student information system.  More specifically, the student’s Preferred Name can be utilized in the following systems:

  • MMC ID Card (Touchnet OneCard)

  • Program Evaluation

  • Blackboard (Official class rosters not on Blackboard will display the legal name)

  • Registration / Billing Statement from the Office of Student Accounts

  • Official Class Rosters (Both the Preferred Name and the Legal Name will appear)

  • MMC Email Display Name

Unfortunately, not all of the College’s systems can display a Preferred Name, and in many instances a Legal Name is required, as there are several different information systems across campus.  For example, your Preferred Name may appear alongside your Legal Name in a class roster. This is to ensure that professors and instructors can verify attendance and record grades accurately. The College is working on the full implementation of the Preferred Name policy across all information systems, but this will take time. 

 Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Preferred Name?

A Preferred Name is a name a student wishes to be known by in the College community that is different from a student’s Legal Name. Marymount’s policy covers Preferred First Names. Surnames can be changed only with a Legal Name change.

What is a Legal Name? 

A Legal Name is the name that appears on your passport, driver’s license, birth certificate, or U.S. Social Security Card.

Do I have to use a Preferred Name?

No. Use of a Preferred Name is optional. 

Where will my Legal Name be used?

Your Legal Name will be used in business and other processes that require use of a Legal Name. These include:

  • International Student Documentation – SEVIS records, immigration/visa documents

  • Student Financial Aid and Loan Documentation

  • Federal or State Requests for Information (Including tax forms-1098T, W-4, etc.)

  • Official Class Rosters (Both the Preferred Name and the Legal Name will appear)

  • National Student Clearinghouse

  • Academic Transcripts

  • Academic Certifications (of enrollment, good standing, degree completion)

  • Diplomas

Are there any Preferred Name restrictions?

Preferred Names may not be used for purposes of fraud or misrepresentation. The College reserves the right to remove a Preferred Name if it contains inappropriate or offensive language.

Does a Preferred First Name affect my Legal Name?

No. An approved Preferred Name does not change your Legal Name.

Do I have to get a new College ID Card if I choose to have a Preferred Name?

No. Use of a Preferred Name Identification Card is only an option for students – in no way is it a requirement. A student can specify a Preferred Name without generating a Preferred Name ID Card.

How do I get my Preferred Name on my MMC Id Card?

In order to receive a College ID Card with your Preferred Name, visit the security desk on the first floor of the Main campus.  They will issue you a new MMC College ID Card.

For More Information

If you have more questions about requesting a Preferred Name, please contact the Center for Student Services at:  Center for Student Services