Assistance Animals

*These policies were instated for the 2017-2018 Academic Year. The 2018-2019 Policy on Assistance Animals is being revised. This will be published once approved. 


If you are interested in bringing an assistance animal on campus or to live in MMC housing, please contact the Office of Disability Services at 212.774.0719 or to learn more.

It is the policy of MMC to make reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities when these students have a disability-related need for such an accommodation. Additionally, MMC charges each member of the management team with the responsibility for ensuring the success of this policy through initiative and personal leadership. MMC understands that in some cases the presence of an assistance animal on campus may be necessary in order to accommodate a student with a disability. Please note however, that the provisions of applicable laws that allow for assistance animals accompanying members of the public with disabilities visiting our campus, or assistance animals residing in student housing, are not the same as what the laws providing for assistance animals for students with disabilities provide.

 Assistance Animal- Assistance Animals aren’t pets. They are animals that provide assistance, perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability, or provide emotional support that alleviates one or more identified symptom or effects of a person’s disability. This is the umbrella term that encompasses Emotional Support Animals and Service Animals.

Emotional Support Animal- Animals that provide emotional support which alleviate one or more identified symptoms or effects of a person’s disability. Some, but not all, animals that assist persons with disabilities are professionally trained.

Service Animal- An animal that is individually trained (or in the process of being trained) to do work or perform specific tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability. The work or tasks performed by the service animal must be directly related to the person’s disability.


Assistance Animal Policies:

Below is a list of the documents needed for approval of an Assistance Animal: 

  • Assistance Animal Registration Form, Campus Commitment and Release of Information
  • Residence Hall Agreement (Only for student’s who reside in the Residence Halls)
  • Copy of current documentation (within the last 3 years) from a qualified professional (excludes service animals)
  • NYC Dog license or valid license from student’s place of residence , and Veterinarian confirmation that all appropriate vaccinations, including, without limitation, Rabies and Distemper, have been administered and are in good standing.
    *Please note that NO accommodations will be provided unless these forms have been completed in full.

 Please bring all of these completed forms to Lindsay Green, Coordinator of Disability Services., ph: 212-774-0719, Carson Hall 500