General Questions

  • What is the difference between Disability Services and Academic Access?

    In compliance with Section 504 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Office of Disability Services provides reasonable accommodations for students with learning, physical, medical and psychological disabilities. Academic Access is a cost-above-tuition service that provides students with enhanced services such as, a learning specialist, academic coaching, and priority registration. Please visit the Academic Access Program for more information. 

  • Can I just walk in and talk to someone or do I have to make an appointment?

    Like most offices, it’s best to schedule an appointment, but if it is just a simple question or you are in need of a quick chat, come right on in! The office is open from 9:00 am until 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. 

    *Please note that most of staff is working remotely right now. Please email for an appointment or for an appointment with Lindsay Green, Please use your MMC credentials to log in and book an appointment.

  • I have a service animal, food allergies, or need help with housing accommodations; do I request accommodations through Disability Services?

    Yes, Disability Services also provides housing accommodations, requests for appealing the Dining Dollar Plan and registers and approves Assistance Animals. 

Questions About Disability Services

  • Do I need to pay for my Disability Services accommodations?

    No, as long as you provide the necessary documentation, your accommodations are, by law, free.

  • My disability is only temporary (an injury, illness, etc.). Can I still receive help from Disability Services?

    Yes, absolutely. You would register for Disability Services with the temporary disability and will be provided accommodations as long as necessary. Documentation of the temporary disability is still required. 

  • How do I request Disability Services Accommodations?

    The How to Register Guide explains the necessary steps in order to complete the Disability Services Request. 

  • How soon should I ask for extended time on a quiz, test, midterm, or final exam?

    A good rule to follow is: as soon as you know is as soon as you tell us. However, all extended testing time must be requested at least one week prior to the testing time. 

  • What kind of documentation is needed when I request Disability Services Accommodations?

    In order to complete the registration process, you must submit appropriate (within the last 3 years), current documentation related to your disability from a qualified professional. Documentation, which must indicate that the individual has an impairment that substantially limits a major life activity, must reflect the following:

    • Nature and severity of current impairment
    • A specific diagnosis and treatment prescribed
    • Medical and educational history related to disability
    • Functional limitations resulting from the impairment
    • Recommended academic and nonacademic accommodation

    Individualized Education Plans (IEP), 504 Plan, Psychological Evaluation Plans, and Neuropsychological Evaluation Plans are all accepted. 

    Please note: 

    • Accommodations will be provided when all supporting documentation has been submitted and reviewed, and when appropriate Accommodation Request Forms have been submitted.
    • Documentation cannot be provided by any MMC affiliated Facility.

Questions About the Academic Access Program

  • How do I apply for the Academic Access Program?

    Please visit the Academic Access Program for specific details and the application process. 

  • Do students in Academic Access have extended time or access to other Disability Services accommodations?

    Yes! Academic Access students have access to all of the accommodations that Disability Services has to offer, in addition to what the Academic Access Program offers.

  • Is the same documentation needed for Academic Access as for Disability Services?

    No, to apply for Academic Access, an additional application and a psychological evaluation are required.

  • Are Academic Access and Disability Services in the same office?

    Yes, we are located in Carson Hall, Suite 500. 

  • Are the monthly Parent Meetings mandatory?

    No, they are not mandatory. The meetings provide an opportunity for parents to communicate with other parents as well as a chance to discuss the student’s progress with the Director of Academic Access.