• I am a new student. What is the timeline for my application process?

    • Pay your $500 non-refundable housing deposit by December 1 for Spring Semester housing, or May 1 for Fall Semester housing (must be accepted to the college first)
    • Fill out your Housing Application online
    • Submit your Medical Consent, Insurance, and Emergency Info Form
  • What is my $500 deposit for?

    The $500 non-refundable deposit is to secure your place in housing, and is separate from your tuition deposit. The $500 deposit is applied to your housing fees once you are placed, and is non-refundable.

  • What are Dining Dollars?

    Dining Dollars  are a convenient way to eat on campus and purchase household items from the C-Store. Dining Dollars work as a declining balance plan, and can be used on campus in Starbucks and the 4th floor Café, as well as at participating off-campus locations . All residential students must participate in the Dining Dollars program. All residents are charged a mandatory $1,350 per semester. Students can always add additional Dining Dollars to their declining balance card. 

    In January session, residents are able to use any fall Dining Dollars remaining on their account.

    Remaining Dining Dollars will roll over each semester until the student graduates or withdraws, and at which time any remaining money will be forfeited.

  • Where can I use my Dining Dollars?


    Dining Dollars can be used on campus at the 4th floor Cafe, Starbucks in the Nugent Lounge, the C-Store at 55th Street, and the Griffin Gear Kiosk. 

    Off campus, students may use Dining Dollars for dining in, take-out, and delivery at various locations

  • What is Gender-Neutral Housing?

    Residence Life is supportive of all students including those who identify as transgender and those with a gender identity that is not traditionally associated with their birth sex.  Housing assignments will be made on the basis of the gender with which the student currently identifies.  Current and incoming students with concerns relating to their gender identity/expression are urged to speak to Residence Life staff so we can assist the student in navigating their housing options. 

    Gender Neutral housing is available for all students. Students must OPT IN to participate; if they are under 18, they need parent’s permission, but we encourage all students to share their decision with their family.  

    For more specific information about gender-neutral housing, visit the Gender-Neutral Housing page.


  • Can I see the residence halls?

    There are a number of ways to see the residence halls:

    1. Visit us at one of our Open House or Admitted Students days.
    2. Schedule a tour through Admissions.
    3. Check out our virtual tours on YouTube on our Tour the Residence Halls page.
  • What if I find cheaper housing or want to get an apartment?

    The housing contract is a binding document committing you to housing for a full academic year. Please carefully consider whether you will want to live on campus before seeking off-campus housing options, as you will be financially responsible for a full year of housing costs once you submit your contract. 

  • I am a returning resident and have lived in housing before. How do I apply to live in housing again?

    Visit our How to Apply page, or go directly to the Continuing Student Housing Application .

    Continuing students should participate in Fall Housing Selection in March/April each year so they can select their bed for the following fall.  We can guarantee housing to continuing students who participate in FHS.  

    The Office of Residence Life accepts applications at any point during the year.

    Placement is subject to availability and is not guaranteed.

  • Are there staff members in the residence hall?

    Yes. Each building has between one and three full-time professional staff members who live in each hall. Additionally, there are student staff members (Resident Advisors) who also live with students and serve as paraprofessional staff members. 

Check In

  • Why and how are Check-In times assigned?

    Check-in times are assigned to keep the flow of traffic manageable and to allow our process to function at its best. You will be assigned a check-in time based on your last name. You can arrive after your assigned check-in time, but not before.

  • I can’t make my time. Can I come earlier?

    Residents may check in after their assigned time, but not earlier.


  • If I move in after my roommate, how can I make sure I get the good bed?

    Spaces within each room are assigned by color to each resident, so beds, dressers, desks, and closet spaces are pre-determined for each resident. It doesn’t matter when you arrive; you’ll still get your assigned spot!


  • Can I choose my own roommates?

    Yes! You can make roommate requests by placing the name(s) of the roommate you are requesting on your housing application. All roommate requests must be mutual in order to be considered. Not all roommate requests can be honored, and roommate requests are not guaranteed. Roommate requests may also be emailed to Residence Life  by July 1.

  • When will I find out who my roommate is and where I’m living?

    For students who have completed their housing application, contract signature page, and made the housing deposit:

    • Building assignment will be sent to students by July 1
    • Rooms assignments and roommate information will be sent by August 4
    • Roommate information is sent after rooms are assigned and payment is made 
  • What if my roommate and I don’t get along?

    At the beginning of the semester, all residents will fill out a roommate contract to set some ground rules for the apartment regarding noise, guests, and cleanliness. This usually establishes a common respect for all residents in the room. All residents are encouraged to try to work out their differences with their roommates through open communication and discussion; however, if two residents have irreconcilable differences and one wants to move, they should submit a Room Change Request form. The Office of Residence Life must approve all moves. No resident moves will be granted within the first three weeks of the Fall semester.

  • Who is responsible for cleaning?

    You are responsible for setting a cleaning schedule with your roommates and ensuring your room is clean. Health and Safety Inspections will occur twice a semester to check the condition of your room.

  • I want to move. How can I apply to change rooms?

    We will do our best to accommodate your room change request. Room changes depend on available space and multiple factors. Residents can apply for a room change request by using the Room Change Request form .


  • Are the residence hall policies online?

    We’re happy you asked! Yes, you can and should read all of our policies prior to your arrival. The current version of our policies can be found on our policies page in The Resident’s Guide to Community Living . The policies are updated each year, so be sure to check out the current version for each academic year, which is released just prior to check-in.

  • What is the alcohol policy?

    We recognize that throughout your college years you will be exposed to alcohol use. It is our hope to educate you to make responsible choices. We also abide by state and local laws regarding drinking. Please make good choices and please be aware that we are here to help you accomplish this. Below is our Alcohol Policy:  


    Alcohol Policy

    • No alcohol may be possessed or consumed in any MMC residence hall owned and operated by MMC, or any MMC student housing locations.
    • No individual, regardless of age, may possess, consume, and/or be in the presence of alcoholic beverages in or around the residence halls.
    • Deliveries of alcohol from liquor stores or an outside source to the residence halls is not permitted.
    • Residents aware of alcohol in the residence halls, whether consuming alcohol or not, may be in violation of this policy.
    • Residents who invite guests (whether it is a resident or non-resident) who bring alcohol into their apartment/room will be in violation of this policy.
    • Public intoxication is prohibited. Anyone violating this policy may be transported to the hospital at his/her own expense or arrested.


    Good Samaritan Provision

    Whenever a student assists an intoxicated individual in procuring the assistance of local or state police, security staff, residence life staff, or other medical professionals, neither the intoxicated individual, nor the individual who assists will be subject to disciplinary action (such as probation or removal from the residence hall) with respect to the alcohol incident. This provision does not preclude disciplinary action regarding other violations, such as theft, sexual harassment/assault, vandalism, etc. Individuals who are combative or not cooperative with the student, staff member, or medical professionals assisting will not be eligible for this provision.

    This provision offers a health-related response to the incident rather than a disciplinary consequence and does not excuse or protect those individuals who deliberately or repeatedly violate the Alcohol Policy.

    In order for this policy to apply, the intoxicated student(s) must agree to timely completion of alcohol education activities, assessment, and/or treatment depending on the level of concern for student health and safety. Serious or repeated incidents will prompt a higher degree of medical concern. Failure to complete recommended follow-up may result in disciplinary action and could prompt the imposition of a medical withdrawal.

    The Good Samaritan provision does not limit the authority of law enforcement personnel or Residence Life staff to act as required at the time of an alleged violation.



  • Are pets allowed?

    No; however, we do welcome assistance animals. All pets, with the exception of assistance animals, are prohibited in all of our residence halls. Pets that are found by Residence Life staff will be removed immediately.  Assistance animals must be approved by the Office of Disability Services .

  • Are mini-refrigerators and microwaves allowed?

    Refrigerators and microwaves are provided in our residence halls, so personal mini-refrigerators and microwaves are not necessary or permitted.

  • Can I have guests?

    Yes! We welcome your guests. Please see our guest policies page for full information on how to have day or overnight guests.


  • How can I be an RA?

    Resident Advisors, also known as RAs, are student leaders who serve as peer counselors, mediators, and representatives of the Office of Residence Life. Each semester we hire RAs for both of our residence halls, with most RAs being hired in the spring for positions beginning in the fall. 

  • What if I have a nut allergy?

    MMC is not a nut-free community, so we cannot guarantee a nut-free room, but will do our best to accommodate requests for nut-free roommates. 

  • Can I have a guest who is under 18 stay with me?

    MMC only allows overnight guests who are over the age of 18; however, an exception is made for 16 or 17 year old siblings of current residents who properly suit the Sibling Guest Form .  The form must be submitted 7 days in advance to a Resident Director.