Virtual Classes/Open Campus Model for Fall 2020
MMC’s Virtual Classes/Open Campus model will provide the safety, flexibility, and community that have been our guiding principles throughout the development of the Fall 2020 Restart Plan. Whether students are near or far, their MMC education will be dynamic, engaging, and personalized.
Academics and Campus Access
All classes will take place online on MMC’s enhanced Virtual Campus, with limited exceptions to be announced. MMC’s 71st Street Campus will reopen at reduced capacity, as will our two residence halls.
- Academic Calendar: We will observe the academic calendar as planned, with an August 31 start and a December 21 end of the semester.
- Small, personalized classes: Virtual Campus classes will be small and immersive, with a continuous synchronous component throughout the semester to ensure an easy exchange of ideas and a high level of individual attention in all courses.
Access to Main Campus: As a perk, on-campus studios, performance spaces, study spaces, technology, and equipment will be available for students and faculty to reserve throughout the semester, in accordance with state and local public health directives, for those who choose to utilize them. In addition to the College’s Health and Safety guidelines (including proper social distancing and face mask usage while on-campus), anyone who plans to visit Main Campus must complete the following steps:
COVID-19 Health Screening: The screening will be available through the MMC Engage App (Download for iPhone or for Android) or web version. A reminder to complete the health screening will be emailed out frequently, and must be completed before your arrival on any day that you intend to be on Main Campus. If you are a student and will not be at Main Campus that day, you do not need to complete the health screening. However, all employees visiting any campus buildings will need to take the screening each time they visit the campus. Once completed, take a screenshot of your MMC Engage confirmation, or find the receipt in your MMC email.
Temperature Check: Upon arriving at Main Campus, you will be required to have your temperature checked by a hands-free device that will scan your forehead. These devices will be located at the main entrance.
Scan your MMC ID: Once you complete the temperature check, you will be asked to scan your MMC ID via Touchnet.
Show Health Screening Confirmation: The final step upon entering Main Campus is to show a member of the Campus Safety team the confirmation email or a screenshot of the confirmation page from the COVID-19 Health Screening you completed that day.
Reserving Space — Astra Scheduler: Rooms and workspaces across the College will require reservations made through our online reservation system, Astra Scheduler. Astra will allow you to reserve both individual work stations for taking class remotely, studying, and projects, as well as group spaces for small events or meetings. Watch a short tutorial video here on how to make a reservation. You can submit requests now via Astra for reservations beginning 8/31.
These spaces require reservations for any individual workstation use:
CH 410 PC Computer Lab
Lower-level Scene shop
CH 411 PC Computer Lab
Lower-level Costume shop
CH 612 Physics lab
Both floors of the Library
CH 615 Biology lab
NH 248 Theatre Design Studio
CH 801 Art Studio
CH 802 Art Studio
NH 556 Media Lab
CH 803 Art Studio
NH 557 Media Lab
NH 559 Media Lab
Theatre and Dance students will be able to reserve studio spaces through Astra Scheduler on a limited basis. More information and additional instructions will be shared with students in those departments as soon as possible.
There will be spaces on campus that do not require a reservation for individuals. Those spaces include the Lowerre Terrace and Commons, as well as the Nugent (Starbucks) lounge. However, while those spaces do not require a reservation, we will be monitoring those rooms to make sure social distancing and safe and appropriate density levels are being upheld. These particular rooms will also be reservable for group meetings through Astra Scheduler.
Science Labs with an In-Person Option: A very small number of science lab classes will have an in-person option but no requirement to be in-person (see list of those courses here).
Advising and Schedule Changes: Students will have the opportunity to confer with their advisors and make changes to their course schedules based on their needs and priorities.
- Continuing Students: Continuing students can reach out to the Academic Advisement Office (email@example.com) to discuss possible changes to their fall schedules. Students can also make changes throughout the summer via MMC Connect.
- New Students: Incoming students should contact the Academic Advisement Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss possible changes to their fall schedules.
- Program Change Period: a virtual Program Change Period will be available to all students during the first week of the fall semester. Students will receive more information about this prior to the start of the semester.
Administrative Offices and In-Person Meetings: Our administrative offices will open on September 8, 2020. If you’re looking to meet with a specific office on campus for in-person services, we kindly ask you to schedule a meeting through the MMC Engage app. This allows our staff to properly prepare for visits and ensures safe density levels and social distancing in our offices. If you’re unable to schedule an appointment, we ask that you call the respective office in advance of your visit. Note, not all staff will be on-campus this semester, but all staff members are available via zoom or phone. Visit the College directory for more information.
Fall Final Stretch: The semester will feature a Fall Final Stretch beginning on Monday, November 30 through the end of the semester.
- During the Fall Final Stretch, faculty will focus even more on individualized and small group work as students complete end-of-semester essays and exhibitions, portfolios and performances, and projects and experiments. Students will continue to engage with faculty and each other virtually, while also continuing to have access to labs, studios, the library, production suites, and other campus facilities (in accordance with local and state health directives). During the final two weeks of the semester, MMC’s 71st Street and Virtual Campuses will be transformed into exciting spaces that showcase student work.
- There is no requirement that students be on campus during the Fall Final Stretch. The Fall Final Stretch also offers students flexibility in their travel plans.
Tuition and Fees
The Fall 2020 semester will be an exciting, rigorous, and uniquely MMC experience—one in which all students can fully participate, no matter where they are, in a manner that is consistent with their comfort levels regarding personal health and safety. However, the College recognizes the financial challenges that many students and families are facing during the pandemic.
MMC rolled back a tuition increase set for the coming academic year in recognition of the financial challenges many of our students and their families are experiencing due to the COVID-19 global pandemic. The roll-back was made possible through the MMC Together Grant, generously funded by alumni, donors, and friends, and will be reflected as a credit on tuition bills. MMC is also waiving some standard fees, to be announced soon. The College does not anticipate further across-the-board tuition reductions, but will continue to work with students and their families individually to make an MMC education affordable.
If you have questions about your specific aid package or expected cost of attendance, please contact the Center for Student Services at email@example.com or 212-517-0500.
Student Workers and Federal Work-Study
The College is planning to hire student workers for the fall 2020 semester. Individual departments are currently identifying their staffing needs, and are exploring both remote and in-person student staffing options. As positions become available, they will be posted on Career Connection, the Career Services Office’s job site.