The MMC First Generation Mentor Program is designed to provide mentorship and social support to First Generation College Students. The program allows students to build strong relationships with faculty and staff across campus, who serve as mentors to students. Participation in the program increases awareness of campus resources and provides support to students outside of the classroom.
- To increase the retention and success of first-generation college students at MMC
- To provide ongoing mentorship from faculty and staff
- To increase campus affinity and sense of belonging among students
- To provide resources that that mitigate social and academic roadblocks as experienced by many First Generation College Students.
The MMC First Generation Mentor Program is a year-long program that matches incoming First Generation Students with faculty and staff at Marymount Manhattan College. Your mentor may or may not have been First Generation student themselves, but are fully invested in your success at the college. You will be able to discuss any concerns or challenges you face as a first-generation college student at MMC while gaining support, direction, and connectivity from your mentor.
There are three components to the MMC First Generation Mentor Program
- Mentorship: You will meet one-on-one with your mentor throughout the year.
- Workshops: You will attend workshops focused on professional development, academic success, and wellness.
- Staff support:You will meet with the program coordinators throughout your mentorship to discuss any challenges and to ensure progress on both academic and professional goals.
Mentors and mentees are expected to meet once per month on their own for a professional or social activity. These activities may include grabbing lunch, getting coffee, meeting to discuss an issue you are having or even looking over a job application you’ve recently filled out! Remember communication with your mentor is important – and it is a two-way street. Be proactive and take initiative.
Submit an online application by clicking this link. Please note that not everyone will be accepted for this program. There are a limited number of spots and selection will be based on major, interests, and other matching criteria. All accepted mentees must:
- Be an incoming First Generation Student.
- Maintain good academic standing with the college.
- Be currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program.
- Be enrolled in the Fall and Spring semesters.